Is my HOB filters hum/vibration going to bother fish?

1. DioBrando Initiate Member

My 20g is finally cycled but before I'm ready to buy any fish I noticed a humming sound today coming from my tank, I may have just not noticed it before or it may be new, but when i touch my hand to the tank its vibrating, and putting my ear up to the tank its very loud and clearly the cause is my hob filter, I was wondering if all that vibration or noise from the filter is going to bother my fish, or if they're going to get used to it and not care.

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Fish are sensitive to vibration and the fact that you can actually feel the vibration while touching the tank would concern me a bit. What brand filter do you have? You may want to switch to a different filter, but before spending the money, see what others have to say.

3. axel Member Member

fish will adapt to the noise, what do you think happen in the wild with fast moving river noise?

4. ToddHendrix Member Member

the noise yes, but the shaking no. I would take apart the filter, its most likely a problem with the impeller or the motor or maybe even something as simple as something hitting the filter.

5. axel Member Member

but doesnt all filter with motor will make tank vibrate?...my tank vibrate a little

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'll have to check, but as far as I know, my filters do not cause noticeable vibration in my tanks.

7. axel Member Member

well i cant see the vibration with naked eyes unless i touch it

8. cheese Member Member

I can feel both my 5 and 10 gallon tanks vibrating a little...they both have hob filters. then I went and touched my 29 with the canister...that's gotta be better for the fish...I never thought too much about the vibration. interested in what others have to say about this!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. axel Member Member

any sign of stress in your 10 gallon tank? how long have the fish live?

10. cheese Member Member

the 10 gal is actually my ghost shrimp tank, they're breeding and very active, not seeming stressed. but that being said, I do not know how shrimp vs fish would react to a constant vibration. in the 5, fully cycled, the betta has always been fairly skittish. I thought it was just the personality of the fish, but I suppose it may have something to do with the vibrations coming from my hob. the fish came from disgustingly dirty water and I've heard that a lot of ammonia can cause fish to dart around, so I've always kept up on maintenance but I suppose it could be my filter? hmm

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app