Is My Heater Done For?

KakeHugs

I normally would call myself an idiot but... my heater was unplugged for a water change for 20+ mins (to cool down) and as I was starting to refill my tank I start to hear sizzling....
The **** heater was frying itself
It doesn't look broken besides a little bit burnt on the glass and a tiny bit of smoke from touching the rubber that holds it onto the glass.
Is it done for? It didn't shook me when I had my hand in the water or anything. I have burnt heaters before but this was making noise before I noticed.
No broken glass or anything, Idk what happened it was unplugged for awhile.
It's one of my $$$ ones and wouldnt wanna throw it away of I don't have to

Repolie

I wouldn't risk it. But I would test it in a separate container and see if it still maintains the same temperature.

KakeHugs

I wouldn't risk it. But I would test it in a separate container and see if it still maintains the same temperature.

I just took it out to inspect and I think it was just the rubber melting and making the noise from being a little too hot
The only damage I see is burnt on RUBBER, not the heater like I though

Repolie

If it's just the rubber, then I think you're fine. But just as a precaution, place it in a container of cold water and see if it heats it up to the right temperature. Because who knows if on the inside, something got fried. Better safe then sorry.

JLeeM

Something there caught my attention. You said AS you were refilling the tank you heard sizzling. Did you plug it back up before the tank was full?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• WrenFeenix
  • Heater
Replies
Views
jaysurf7
  • DawnisSam
  • Heater
Replies
Views
GEM8820
  • That1FishKeeper