Is My Heater Broken?

1. D

Driftwoods New Member Member

Hi all. I'm quite new to the aquarium hobby so I'm looking for some advice.

I've got an oase adjustable heater. When I was fishless cycling the tank it was set at 30 degrees and didn't vary too much.

Now I have fish I want to keep the temp at 26. I've set the heater to 26 degrees but my track seems to be sticking around 27 quite steadily. ( betweem 27 and 27.3) So I dropped it down to 25 and it still seems to be sticking around that temperature.

I did turn the heater off for a while and my temp dropped down to 25 over night. When i turned the heater bank on it went back up. My room temperate is variable but around 23-25 degrees.

My question is, is this normal? Does anyone else have an oase filter which does this? Are there any visible signs I can look out for of a damaged heater?

2. ELON MOLLUSK

ELON MOLLUSK Valued Member Member

First question... are you a penguin? Lol second question go back and repeat first question. Where do you live ?

3. Kevin Dennis

Kevin Dennis Valued Member Member

I am thinking the OP is referring to celsius temperature.

It would be best to use a trusted thermometer to set the temperature.

Heaters have a tolerance of a couple degrees. Water requires a lot of energy to change temperature. It may take some experimentation.

4. OP
    OP
    D

Driftwoods New Member Member

Ha ha elon love your response ha ha. I live in the UK so we are all about degrees Celsius here. To give you an idea my room temperature is 73 degrees Fahrenheit. The UK does get penguin cold sometimes though

Kevin I've got a thermometer on the side of my tank which is currently readimg 27 and I have one on my water change bucket so ice double checked. The one good thing is that the temperature doesn't vary much. Only been 27 and 27.3. Just seems odd that my heater is set at 25

Maybe I need to experiment and drop down the heater another degree? I'm looking for 26 degrees ideally.

5. Kevin Dennis

Kevin Dennis Valued Member Member

There is a tolerance on the heater thermostat, and a tolerance on both your thermometers.

If you want 26 degrees C, lower your heater one degree and recheck.