Is my guppy sick??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mistycheri, Apr 22, 2006.

1. mistycheriValued MemberMember

My male guppy isn't spreading his tail fin when he swims anymore. He kinda keeps it clamped closed. Does this mean he's sick? I don't see any fungus growing on it.

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Probably meins he's either sick, injured, or doesn't like something about the water quality. What are your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Are there any signs of disease--spots or parasites, frayed fins, cottony stuff, etc?

3. mistycheriValued MemberMember

The ends of his tail fin looked a little frayed and his whole tail end is kinda drooping. I did a water reading a few minutes ago and everything looks good. I just changed the water 3 days ago.

PH 7.2
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 20 ppm

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Sounds like the beginnings of finrot. If you have a Q tank, put him in there. If not, go ahead and treat the whole tank. I used Jungle Fungus Clear tank Buddies on my Otos, and it worked really well. Finrot is usually caused by poor water quality, but it sounds as if your water is fine. Sometimes it sets in after an injury to the fin.

5. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Here is a before and now picture. I noticed that the end of the tail started looking a little frayed a few days ago. Now his tail fin is half the size it was when I bought him. I think the other male guppy has been harrassing, and nipping him.

Attached Files:

6. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Sick Guppy Update!!

It's day four of medicating my guppy for his damaged tail fin. He's already swimming alot better, and his tail is starting to spread out again. Check him out! Sorry for the blurry image, I had the zoom on. ::)

Attached Files:

7. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Well, it was day 5 of treating my guppy for his tail fin ailment. He was doing so much better, back to his old self. I even changed about 30% of the water last night. I had to go to town today, and when I left he was doing fine, swimming around the tank like nothing was wrong. Then when I came back home, he was missing. I knew that was a bad sign. So I started looking for him. I found him dead inside the cave. :'( :'(
    I don't know what happen to him. ??? ???
    I did add some algae control liquid, "Algae Destroyer Advanced", I've used this product before and it didn't harm the fish. Could this be what killed my precious guppy? I didn't think about the algae destroyer reacting with the Melafix. I've changed 50% of the water to remove the algae destroyer. I did this for the 5 gal. tank also, just in case. I'll never use that stuff again.
    But then, it still won't bring my guppy back. :'( :'(

8. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I'm sorry!
    I bet it was the algae stuff. I don't recommend using chemicals to kill algae...and with the meds it probably made a bad combo, and affected the Guppy since he was already weakened.

9. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I thru the whole bottle in the trash!! Thankfully it didn't effect any of the other fish.

10. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

IMO, that's where most chemicals need to go--either they don't work period or they have equal negative effects. :( Someone just wants to make money.
    I'm glad the other fish are ok. It's so sad to lose a pet. :'(

11. mistycheriValued MemberMember

It just makes me sick, he was doing so well after 5 days of medication. He was spreading his tail fin again, swimming all over the tank again. It just makes me cry to think about what a stupid mistake I made. :'(

12. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

awwww sorry about your pretty guppy! :'(

13. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Thank You Emma

14. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Don't feel too bad about it. It wasn't really your fault. Fish are just so delicate...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice