Is my guppy pregnant?

JHSavage00

I bought a couple of female guppies today and I noticed one was rather large compared to the other.
I’ve separated her from the rest of the fish in a breeding box.

is she actually pregnant or have I separated a healthy-fine fish?

(ive only accidentally bred guppies once many years ago)

See attached

Attachments

• 7A946FD5-E940-4BB4-9943-B6C723F37015.jpeg
    7A946FD5-E940-4BB4-9943-B6C723F37015.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 03F6EEA9-BC27-49C2-A79A-1DBB13BBB0F2.jpeg
    03F6EEA9-BC27-49C2-A79A-1DBB13BBB0F2.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 18
  • ADEF50BC-028A-451C-92F4-97264D084304.jpeg
    ADEF50BC-028A-451C-92F4-97264D084304.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 19

fishphotofan

Hi! I would say she is pregnant. The dark spot behind her belly, if I remember correctly is called a 'gavid spot' but I am not positive about that. However, the dark spot means she is pregnant. They are eggs, or embryos.. and she will give birth to little baby guppies soon.

Upvote 0

JHSavage00

Hi! I would say she is pregnant. The dark spot behind her belly, if I remember correctly is called a 'gavid spot' but I am not positive about that. However, the dark spot means she is pregnant. They are eggs, or embryos.. and she will give birth to little baby guppies soon.
Awesome, have I separated her too early do you reckon?

Upvote 0

fishphotofan

I just Googled it... it is actually called a 'gravid spot.'

"A gravid spot is a darkly colored spot on female livebearers, situated just behind the analfin. It grows larger during pregnancy, getting larger the closer a fish is to giving birth. It is commonly used as a useful indicator of pregnancy in livebearers such as platies and guppies, with some aquarists claiming that close to birthing it is also possible to see dark spots corresponding to the eyes of the fry in the same area. "

From: Gravid spot - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

Upvote 0

JHSavage00

I just Googled it... it is actually called a 'gravid spot.'

"A gravid spot is a darkly colored spot on female livebearers, situated just behind the analfin. It grows larger during pregnancy, getting larger the closer a fish is to giving birth. It is commonly used as a useful indicator of pregnancy in livebearers such as platies and guppies, with some aquarists claiming that close to birthing it is also possible to see dark spots corresponding to the eyes of the fry in the same area. "

From: Gravid spot - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
Wish there was a way to tell how far along they are so she doesn’t have to stay in the small box for a while

Upvote 0

fishphotofan

Actually, you can speed up the process. An increase in temperature usually induces labor, so to speak. Doesn't take much, just a few degrees. Disclaimer: My advice is don't do it if you are not experienced. If you warm up your fish too much, or too fast, you can hurt it. Actually, I am not sure if the warmer water causes her to drop her fry early because of stress from the water temp change, or it induces labor because of natural conditions. (Such as Discus. They need higher temperatures to induce spawning behavior.)

Upvote 0

JHSavage00

Actually, you can speed up the process. An increase in temperature usually induces labor, so to speak. Doesn't take much, just a few degrees. Disclaimer: My advice is don't do it if you are not experienced. If you warm up your fish too much, or too fast, you can hurt it. Actually, I am not sure if the warmer water causes her to drop her fry early because of stress from the water temp change, or it induces labor because of natural conditions. (Such as Discus. They need higher temperatures to induce spawning behavior.)
I’m actually in day 2.5 of breeding my bettas so I have some experience in breeding, but I’ve only ever accidentally bred guppies once by accident (and managed to raise them).

I won’t be able to increase my temperature as it’s a community tank with ADFs, female bettas and other community fish :/

Upvote 0

fishphotofan

Well, you won't have to wait long. She can stay in the breeding box with no problems. I am assuming yours is similar to the one I use, - it hangs on the side of the tank and is supported inside the tank. The box is clear plastic, so she can see the other fish.

Upvote 0

JHSavage00

Well, you won't have to wait long. She can stay in the breeding box with no problems. I am assuming yours is similar to the one I use, - it hangs on the side of the tank and is supported inside the tank. The box is clear plastic, so she can see the other fish.
Yeah that’s correct... I’ll leave her in and wait it out. Thanks

Upvote 0
Top Bottom