Is My Guppy Pregnant? Help

1. EmmaRose Initiate Member

Is my guppy pregnant?

She lives with one male guppy and she's a lot bigger than him, she's very square when you look at her head on, he keeps pestering her and nipping at her belly. However her Gravid spot isn't too dark but I have seen other light pregnant guppies whos spot isn't too dark.

As of 10 mins ago she is hiding behind the filter which she has never done before and not moving much, she's backed into the corner. I think she is hiding from the male as he won't lea e her alone

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Yes, she is. It is also recommended to keep a male female ratio of 1:2 or 3.

3. EmmaRose Initiate Member

Thanks for your reply!!

How far along do you think she is? Do you think we should remove the male guppy? We did go to the pet shop recently to enquire about adding guppies but he didn't recommend adding any females or males. I'm worried that she is going to give birth soon and whether or not I should separate her

4. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

It doesn't look very far, theres probably at least 3-4 weeks until she gives birth. Add some bushy plants (such as hornwort) and let the female give birth in the tank. Moving her may cause her to give birth to premature fry or absorb the fry and be really stressed.

5. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    You need a minimum of 2 females per male but I recommend at least 3-4 females per male. If you have to many males/not enough females the males can harass the females to death.
    Was there a reason he didn't recommend adding any more? What is your tank size and full stocking?

6. EmmaRose Initiate Member

We have the 2 guppies (female and male) and 3 neon tetra in a 7 litre tank so i assume it was becsuse it would be too full with more guppies. I don't know what to do about the male (Salt) hassling the female (Vinegar) - she can't get any peace! But if she isn't due to give birth for weeks we don't have another tank to put Salt in :(

7. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunately that is too small for any of those fish. 7 litres is just under 2 gallons. For those fish you need 20 gallons minimum. I would suggest rehoming or returning those fish or getting a 20 gallon ASAP.

8. Merryn O'Shea Member Member

Yes she is definitely pregnant. I'd suggest leaving them in the tank until they have had the babies and then more the guppies out and leave the babies

9. Kets32 Initiate Member

I think investing in a larger tank is advisable. I have 20 babies that have survived over the past 6 weeks (only the fittest survive as do not separate pregnant mummy's) which I believe the warmer weather has had an impact on them breeding. I have another two pregnant and the last 7 (that's how many I have counted but they hide pretty good) appeared yesterday and two more pregnant I think.

10. Manjit Member Member

i would suggest to spearating it from other fishes though