Is My Guppy Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by wpascarelli, Apr 19, 2017.

1. wpascarelliNew MemberMember

I have had a 55gal community tank for about a year now. About 2 months ago at the LFS there was a tank that was labeled as only having Neon tetras in it. I looked in the tank and there was only maybe 3 or 4 fish and they were quite tiny. I bought them all and they were so small that I could not even tell that one of them was not actually a neon. After a few days I noticed that one of the fish was a tiny guppy. Very tiny.
    Over the last couple of months she has grown quickly and is much larger now. Lately, and especially today even moreso, I have noticed her stomach getting larger and rounder. Today she looks like a balloon is in there! It looks abnormal and looks like she clearly either has some sort of sickness, or is pregnant. She seems to be behaving normally and not acting sick. I was not expecting her to get pregnant because she was just a tiny baby size when I got her and I have no other guppies in my tank. Is it still possible that she is pregnant?

2. Andromeda

AndromedaValued MemberMember

Is this what she looks like? This is the normal shape of certain species of guppies (females). If this is her shape, you needn't worry. She's just growing up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  3. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Yes she is pregnant, what other fish do you have in the tank?

4. Andromeda

You're guessing she cross-bred with another species?

5. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Yes, guppies can cross breed with mollys

6. OP
    OP
    w

wpascarelliNew MemberMember

There are no other livebearers of any kind. There are neons, congo tetra, dwarf neon rainbowfish, Bolivian Rams, corys. @Andromeda - Id say she looks like your pic but maybe even slightly more inflated, or maybe just about like the pic. I will keep an eye on her, maybe it is normal since I never kept guppies before maybe I just dont realize how balloon-like they normally become.
    Thanks!

7. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

@wpascarelli
    It is possible she is sick/bloated/fat. Could you post a picture of her? From the side and top down would be great :)

8. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

She has a gravid spot indicating she is definitely pregnant :)

Most likely when she was young she got pregnant and stored the sperm. Females can be impregnate from 1-2 months of birth! They can be only .75 inches and still get pregnant also

9. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

The pic in the second post wasn't OP, it was being used as an example :p

Could be dropsy as well. Are her scales pineconing?

10. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Can you get a picture? Only with a pic can we safely and surely diagnose her

11. fjh

I didn't know the OP posted a picture! Actually, I still don't see it... I only see the picture in the second post, but that's not the OP's fish... where is the picture with the gravid spot?

12. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

OMG, thought the photo was posted by OP :)

13. Andromeda

No no, I posted it to show how normal females can seem 'pregnant' at times though that might be their natural shape.

14. fjh

Oh lol okay thought I was blind! Lol

15. OP
    OP
    w

wpascarelliNew MemberMember

Lol no that is not my photo, however, this fish has had a black spot on her stomach i think since I got her when she was teeny tiny, and still has it. Below are my pics. IMG_8032.JPGIMG_8059.JPGIMG_8028.JPGIMG_8031.JPGIMG_8056.JPG

16. Cruise

CruiseValued MemberMember

The Guppy (Poecilia reticulata), is often called the “million fish” as they’re prolific breeders and can do so at the drop of the hat.
    Although I have never seen a guppy wearing hat.

Sorry, bad joke. I couldn't resist :)

17. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

She looks like she is pine coning a bit at the bottom...I wouldn't feed her for a few days and see if she isn't so big anymore.

18. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

Looks like she's pineconing, which is dropsy. I would try some Epsom salt baths. Make sure you use Epsom salt and not aquarium salt, which will increase fluid retention and make it worse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice