Is my Guppy pregnant?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by JChurch12, Jun 26, 2016.

1. JChurch12New MemberMember

I have 2 female guppies but could only get a good picture of one. Is she pregnant? Also how can I tell if they are and when should I separate her?
    Thanks

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_6335.JPG

2. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

Yes she is, you can tell because of her gravid spot. She might be due around 1 week IMO.

There's no reason to separate her, putting pregnant females in a breeder box stresses them. Leave her in the main tank and give the fry some places to hide with floating plants and etc.

3. BlackNotebookTanks

BlackNotebookTanksWell Known MemberMember

Yup! She is defiantly preggers! She might give birth soon. My ladies usually gave birth right after a water change, so be on baby watch after any WCs you do in the coming two weeks! I currently have had to rehome all my females, as in the past three days, I now have 22 baby guppies 0_0 and once they're old enough to sex, i'm passing them on to local fishkeepers and my LFS

You can tell a guppy is preggers by the gravid spot. Its that dark spot right above the anal fin. Of you look real close, you may actually see the eyes of the babies (that sounds unintentionally creepy sorry) developing! Well, depending on how far she is into the pregnancy. Also, keep in mind live-bearers can hold genetic material from one male for up to six months, so yeah babies ahoy!

4. OP
    OP
    J

JChurch12New MemberMember

Yeah she actually had them last night and I wasn't ready for it and I think they all got eaten :( so hopefully this next batch from the other guppy survives.

5. Aster

Aww, she didn't look big or boxy, so weird that she dropped. Might have been prematurely or something.

Chances are that some survived anyway. I never remove my females from the main tank because it just stresses them out, and I'm still getting a good amount of fry. It depends on how many hiding spots you have. Well anyway, if you try to save every batch you'll soon be overrun!

6. OP
    OP
    J

I seen like one or two swimming but they got eaten. I do want to save at least one batch from each female.

7. Aster

Do you have males? If you have males you'll be sure to get more batches.

Even without males a female can have 6 drops of fry from a single mating.

8. Protim Sarkar

Protim SarkarWell Known MemberMember

Never mind. You will be having 2nd batch of fry in the next 28 days.

9. OP
    OP
    J

I have a fancy tail and an endler

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice