Is my guppy pregnant?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by LindaMS, Jul 15, 2015.

1. LindaMS

LindaMS Valued Member Member

Hi everyone I am very new here but I bought my first guppies yesterday and I am now wondering if they are pregnant. Also if they are can anyone give me a clue regarding what colour these girls are and what they could produce? I really hope I can keep them alive being such a newbie, I have another tank coming Friday to get it ready in case. They look so slim but they both appear to have the gravid spot. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Linda

2. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

All females have a gravid spot. But, I would think that the black gravid spot would mean they are pregnant.

3. lilymcauley

lilymcauley New Member Member

I have very colourful guppies and a few black and the only fry I got turned out black. Your female could be very early pregnant - check back with a new pick in a few days, she should be more noticeable by then!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi LindaMS Welcome to FishLore!!

Pretty guppies :)

5. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Hi babynemo thanks for the reply, yes I read that was the way to tell males from females but now I read other stuff that says it does not show in a female until she is pregnant or has been pregnant in the past. Hence I don't know if my girls are recently pregnant or have already given birth before I bought them.
    Cheers
    Linda

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  6. babynemo

Hi, I have three virgin females and I can see their gravid spot, still. But usually a black gravid spot is an indication that they are pregnant. Keep checking on them and if they are pregnant their stomach area will start to get big and in about three weeks they will start to look like a "box". You'll definitely know it when you see it! Once they look "boxy" it usually means birth will be in a few hours to a few days later.
    At least, that's the experience I've had with my female guppies so far.
    Good luck and welcome to Fishlore!
    :;hf

7. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Hi there so what I am trying to figure out is if one of my females is classed as a Black or a Half Black? All the ones they call Black seem only partly black anyway and some Half Blacks have light tails so I am guessing mine is Black and if so that is Dominant?
    My other girl is not black she seems to have a little pattern in her tail including a little yellow colour and sometimes looks like a very pale blue. What colour would she be any ideas?
    Both bodies have a goldish look is that what I called grey?

Thanks for that! Lord, I might have babies before I even get used to looking after them. Fingers crossed I can keep them healthy they seem good at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  8. babynemo

Hi, I don't know much about Guppy Genetics, yet. ButMaybe these links will help?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice