Is My Guppy Pregnant Or Sick? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by tallulabi, Aug 6, 2019.

1. tallulabi

tallulabiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    image.image.image. hi, i’ve recently been on holiday and left my mom to look after my fish. now that i’ve come back one of my guppies is extremely bloated. we took the guppy to a pet shop near us and they said they think she’s pregnant but i’m not sure. i’ve put her in a nursery tank just to be safe but i don’t want to stress her out for no reason. i’m just hoping she hasn’t got dropsy or anything like that. please help me??

2. Fishy17

Fishy17New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure she is a female? The first picture makes me think it could be a male because of the absence of an analfin. Maybe I'm just not seeing it though. Also, If you weren't gone for a long time, if it is a female, I doubt she would get that big that quickly if she was on the thinner side before. How long were you gone?

3. OP
    OP
    tallulabi

Ratings:
    +0
    the shop i bought it from did say it was male so that’s why i was surprised. the other guppy in the tank is also male and was following him around like he was trying to mate for a while but i never thought much of it. i was gone for just under 5 weeks.

4. Fishy17

Fishy17New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    It looks to me like it is indeed a male. Especially if there is no triangular shaped analfin. Do you know how much your mom was feeding them? And are any of the other fish bigger than normal?

5. ThePetPavilion

ThePetPavilionValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    It looks like a male, and it is probably bloated. Try feeding it some peas.

6. OP
    OP
    tallulabi

Ratings:
    +0
    the other fish are completely fine and my mom said she was feeding the amount i told her to which is what i’ve always been feeding them and i’ve never had this happen before.

7. ThePetPavilion

ThePetPavilionValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    He could be stealing the food from the other fish.

8. OP
    OP
    tallulabi

Ratings:
    +0
    maybe but i’ve been watching them and everything looks normal. how would i tell if he’s sick? do you think he looks sick?

9. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,526
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    When was the last time you changed the water in your tank? Do you have a test kit to check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the tank? I'd advise that you do a 75% water change now, (treat the replacement water with a dechloriator) He is definately a male and he's definately sick. It may benefit him to have an epsom salt bath. Epsom salt can help them poop if they are bloated from constipation. Another thing that can help more than peas, is to feed him some Daphnia. Call your local fish store and see if they have daphnia and epsom salt. Get those, feed him and the other fish you have some daphnia then someone here can advise you how to do the epsom salt bath. But test and change the water first.