Help Is My Guppy Pregnant Or Sick?

tallulabi

New Member
Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
hi, i’ve recently been on holiday and left my mom to look after my fish. now that i’ve come back one of my guppies is extremely bloated. we took the guppy to a pet shop near us and they said they think she’s pregnant but i’m not sure. i’ve put her in a nursery tank just to be safe but I don’t want to stress her out for no reason. i’m just hoping she hasn’t got dropsy or anything like that. please help me??
 

Fishy17

New Member
Member
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Are you sure she is a female? The first picture makes me think it could be a male because of the absence of an analfin. Maybe I'm just not seeing it though. Also, If you weren't gone for a long time, if it is a female, I doubt she would get that big that quickly if she was on the thinner side before. How long were you gone?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
T

tallulabi

New Member
Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Fishy17 said:
Are you sure she is a female? The first picture makes me think it could be a male because of the absence of an analfin. Maybe I'm just not seeing it though. Also, If you weren't gone for a long time, if it is a female, I doubt she would get that big that quickly if she was on the thinner side before. How long were you gone?
the shop I bought it from did say it was male so that’s why I was surprised. the other guppy in the tank is also male and was following him around like he was trying to mate for a while but I never thought much of it. I was gone for just under 5 weeks.
 

Fishy17

New Member
Member
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
It looks to me like it is indeed a male. Especially if there is no triangular shaped analfin. Do you know how much your mom was feeding them? And are any of the other fish bigger than normal?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
T

tallulabi

New Member
Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Fishy17 said:
It looks to me like it is indeed a male. Especially if there is no triangular shaped analfin. Do you know how much your mom was feeding them? And are any of the other fish bigger than normal?
the other fish are completely fine and my mom said she was feeding the amount I told her to which is what i’ve always been feeding them and i’ve never had this happen before.
 

ThePetPavilion

Active Member
Member
Messages
204
Reaction score
43
Location
My Computer
Experience
Just started
tallulabi said:
the other fish are completely fine and my mom said she was feeding the amount I told her to which is what i’ve always been feeding them and i’ve never had this happen before.
He could be stealing the food from the other fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
T

tallulabi

New Member
Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
ThePetPavilion said:
He could be stealing the food from the other fish.
maybe but i’ve been watching them and everything looks normal. how would I tell if he’s sick? do you think he looks sick?
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,011
Reaction score
3,904
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
tallulabi said:
maybe but i’ve been watching them and everything looks normal. how would I tell if he’s sick? do you think he looks sick?
When was the last time you changed the water in your tank? Do you have a test kit to check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the tank? I'd advise that you do a 75% water change now, (treat the replacement water with a dechloriator) He is definitely a male and he's definitely sick. It may benefit him to have an epsom salt bath. Epsom salt can help them poop if they are bloated from constipation. Another thing that can help more than peas, is to feed him some Daphnia. Call your local fish store and see if they have daphnia and epsom salt. Get those, feed him and the other fish you have some daphnia then someone here can advise you how to do the epsom salt bath. But test and change the water first.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
70
Guests online
2,096
Total visitors
2,166

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom