Is My Guppy Pregnant Again? (picture Included)

Mikhael

Hi. I think my guppy is pregnant again.. my female guppy just gave birth approx. 2-3 weeks ago.. got 22 fry but only 4 survived [most came out from my breeding box before I realize and take them out of the main tank :'( ]

She had 10 stillbirths and did not really lose the gravid spot completely in her belly after she gave birth.. Her belly reduced in size so I think she was done with the pregnancy..

Then yesterday when I was feeding them, I noticed her belly became rounded again! And her gravid spot became darker... Then she keeps going up and down the side of the tank again just like she did when she was getting ready to give birth last time.. so.. I am wondering if she can be pregnant with such a short time and if you can, can you advise on when I should put her to the breeder box? And when is sge approximately due? Thank you very much

Attachments

• 2017-06-11 09.27.57.jpg
    2017-06-11 09.27.57.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 114

OnTheFly

Yes she is pregnant but she probably has a while to go. 28 days is normal gestation period but it is often a bit longer. Try not to put her in the breeding trap way too early. It is stressful on her and can cause premature/stillbirths, or occasionally even death of the mother. I much prefer a weeded tank and then net the babies out into a nursery tank, or container.

Mikhael

Yes she is pregnant but she probably has a while to go. 28 days is normal gestation period but it is often a bit longer. Try not to put her in the breeding trap way too early. It is stressful on her and can cause premature/stillbirths, or occasionally even death of the mother. I much prefer a weeded tank and then net the babies out into a nursery tank, or container.

I see.. yeah I was afraid of putting her inside too early.. I can't leave her be with plants.. her previous fry were eaten by my fantail goldfish I guess I'll have to watch her more now thank you

K5MOW

In general a female guppy is always pregnant.

OnTheFly

I see.. yeah I was afraid of putting her inside too early.. I can't leave her be with plants.. her previous fry were eaten by my fantail goldfish I guess I'll have to watch her more now thank you
Once you get her schedule down you may be able to put her in a container a few days before. (If summer room temps are close to correct). I understand we all don't have a bunch of spare tanks. If that is your reality you don't need a high fry survival rate anyway, but I understand it is fun to save the fry and raise them.

Mikhael

In general a female guppy is always pregnant.

Wow really? So that's why haha thanks

Once you get her schedule down you may be able to put her in a container a few days before. (If summer room temps are close to correct). I understand we all don't have a bunch of spare tanks. If that is your reality you don't need a high fry survival rate anyway, but I understand it is fun to save the fry and raise them.

I have a small container for the small fry for them to grow a bit before returning them back but yeah I guess I can't keep them all or I will run out if space haha.. thank you

OnTheFly

Wow really? So that's why haha thanks
Yes but that doesn't mean you can't try to breed her to a male of your choice. If she is around another male right around the time she delivers fry they can sometimes over ride the sperm packet she already has onboard. No guarantees but usually you can get what you want after a few months. I breed some pure strain guppies and I go to great length to keep the females virgins until a breeding partner is selected

Mikhael

Yes but that doesn't mean you can't try to breed her to a male of your choice. If she is around another male right around the time she delivers fry they can sometimes over ride the sperm packet she already has onboard. No guarantees but usually you can get what you want after a few months. I breed some pure strain guppies and I go to great length to keep the females virgins until a breeding partner is selected

What do you mean male of my choice? You mean they can get pregnan with other species of fish?

OnTheFly

What do you mean male of my choice? You mean they can get pregnan with other species of fish?
Actually they can but it is rare and that is not what I meant. I meant you bring a female guppy fish home from LFS and she is almost certainly pregnant already. You have no idea who Daddy is or what the fry will look like. You can keep her with your own male guppy and eventually she will likely have fry that he fathered. The appearance of the fry will be at least somewhat more predictable. It can take months for this to happen.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HenryL2699
Replies
Views
Louise26
Replies
Views
RedTailRookie
Replies
Views