Is My Guppy Poorly?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by LouLou79, Apr 22, 2017.

1. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

image.jpegimage.jpeg my longest running guppy seems unwell. He has dulled in colour, his scales seem to be sticking out and is slightly bloated (or may just look bloated due to scales sticking out). Any ideas of what it is and what I need to do. Thankyou

2. KiksWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like dropsy. I don't have any experience with dropsy, but from what I've read that could be it and there's no known cure. Hopefully someone with more experience will comment.

3. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

Thank you. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice.

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

If he is bloated and his scales are "pineconing", it sounds a lot like dropsy. Is he lethargic and refusing food and hovering at the surface as well? Dropsy is caused by fluid buildup in the body, and can be treated with Epsom salt baths. Quarantine if possible, and use no more than 2.5 teaspoons of Epsom salt for every ten gallons of water in the quarantine tank.

5. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

Thank you for replying. He is eating but is staying near the top a lot more than usual. I have no way of quarantining him so will all my fish catch it? Also can I add the Epsom salts to the whole tank or will it half the other fish? Should I dissolve the salt first then add?

6. FahnFishlore VIPMember

As far as I know dropsy isn't contagious, but if the pathogen that caused it is still in the tank other fish can be at risk.

Scoop up some tank water in a bowl or plastic container (keep the volume of the container in mind when dosing, using a measuring cup may help). Let the Epsom salt dissolve completely before adding the fish. Let him sit in the solution for 15-20 minutes then return him to the tank. Repeat daily for a week and longer if necessary.

7. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

Thankyou I will get some Epsom salts tomorrow. What could the pathogen be? I've checked and all my levels are fine.

8. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

He's not looking good today, just sitting at the bottom.

9. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

I don't remember any of my guppies recovering once they were constantly sitting on the bottom during daylight hours. I'm sorry to say that. He is a nice looking fish.

10. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

No he definitely isn't going to survive. He has hid himself in my ornamental lighthouse and is just laying on floor. I know to be kind, I should probably put him out his misery, but I just can't do it. He was one of my first and favourite fish.

11. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

It is hard. I either treat my fish or euthanize them. Those are the humane choices. I'm sorry for your loss.

12. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

What's the best way to euthanise?

13. notmyfirstname123Valued MemberMember

either a cup of water in the freezer or clove oil in a cup either work and are of little harm to your fish. So sorry for the loss :(

14. notmyfirstname123Valued MemberMember

I said harm, but you know what I mean....

15. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Cold water will put a tropical fish to sleep fast. I've ready studies that indicate show fish do not possess the nervous system to feel pain nearly on our level. Again, sorry this happened.

16. notmyfirstname123Valued MemberMember

I read a similar article about how fish can feel pain and was shocked to find that out. Prior to reading that I was under the impression that they felt zero pain. As you said though it is not nearly the same as other animals.

17. LouLou79Valued MemberMember

So either put him in a cup of cold water then in the freezer (for how long?) or put him in a cup of clove oil (how long does this take?)

18. notmyfirstname123Valued MemberMember

clove oil I believe is very quick. unfortunately I don't know from experience so I'll have to leave that to someone else. I just read that freezing may not be the best which is sad because thats the way ive always done it :O. this link should help. It's the clove oil or vodka method.  

19. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

I am an avid fly fisherman (catch and release) and we debate studies at length on other forums. Our goal being to enjoy our passion with least amount of harm to fish. They use their lateral line and eyes that adapt to light changes. Beyond that they are fairly instinctual and biologically simple creatures in comparison to mammals. There are a few people here that think their betta is as smart as a Black Labrador. And they aren't hurting me believing that lol. I have never thought my guppies love me. But they are conditioned to know that guy will probably feed us when he turns the light on in the morning. :)

20. notmyfirstname123Valued MemberMember

I completely agree I fish for food as well as hunt, but I try to do it as humanely as possible. I do care about my fish and I like them alot, but I hold the understanding that they do not have the capacity to care for us as much as we do them. the purpose of me stating that is the way I dealt with fish wasn't as gentle as it should have been given they do feel pain I believe I should avoid their suffering as much as possible. Since I have taken the responsibility of caring for them as pets I should treat them as such :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice