Is my guppy okay?

Poseidontheaxolotl

Hello!

I recently got a community tank a few months ago, and I started with 4 guppies, unfortunately one died but I believe that was due to old age. I got another beautiful cobra guppy as another companion. Everything seemed fine until a few days ago when one of my orange guppies started to hang at the back of the tank by my rock ornament. Maybe she’s pregnant but it’s a little hard to teThe two other female guppies seemed quite interested in her and were swimming right next to her, however she didn’t seem to want them there with her. The male was just swimming around and wasn’t really paying much attention. Her tail seems to be a little ripped however I am not sure because I don’t remember what her tail looked like when I got her.

Here is some important information you may need:

Ph - 7.7 - 8.2 (I test two PH; high range and normal)
Ammonia - 0 - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

It’s a 20 gallon community tank with a gold gourami, 2 glass catfish, 3 Kuhli loaches, 4 guppies and a spiny eel. She seemed very happy and still swims a lot but just seems to get annoyed with the others. I just want to make sure she’s okay.

Any advice would help and here’s some pictures (they move to fast so the pics are a little blurry)

Attachments

• 9A166038-2ACB-4D01-B42F-F2E7D30A355E.jpeg
    9A166038-2ACB-4D01-B42F-F2E7D30A355E.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 101A784E-23D7-420F-85D0-77DFEC5B8E80.jpeg
    101A784E-23D7-420F-85D0-77DFEC5B8E80.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43

AquaCaitlin

Not pregnant, because that’s definitely a male.
I also don’t think the last guppy died from old age because they live a few years.

.25 ammonia shouldn’t be causing him to act like this, it may be stress. The torn tail is probably from the other guppies nipping at him which is perfectly normal in guppies, the males especially. Do you have lots of hiding places around your tank?

Poseidontheaxolotl

Not pregnant, because that’s definitely a male.
I also don’t think the last guppy died from old age because they live a few years.

.25 ammonia shouldn’t be causing him to act like this, it may be stress. The torn tail is probably from the other guppies nipping at him which is perfectly normal in guppies, the males especially. Do you have lots of hiding places around your tank?
Okay that’s very reassuring. I’m very surprised that he’s a male! How can you tell? My other male is definitely a lot smaller - this is one of the bigger ones. I do water changes weekly and the ammonia is usually quite low. Also what do you think the stress might be from? Any ideas? Here is a picture of my aquarium: (there should be multiple hiding places)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 40

AquaCaitlin

It does look like it has a good amount of hiding places. I would try to bring the ammonia down to 0 (a 50% water change should do it) just to be safe.

Watch him and see how he acts with the others who I also believe are males.
Look for a longer slimmer body in males with a long analfin and larger tail.

E02ED484-3E27-44FC-82B7-6117FBC4328A.jpeg
Look for rounder belly, more muted colors, round analfin, and gravid spot in females.

95457533-DD48-4E94-B79A-64019B8F4E72.jpeg
The other males could be pestering him to the point where he’s stressed so try and see if they’re annoying him too much.

Also, I would check the temperature in your tank. If it’s chillier than the guppies like he may be slowing down.

Poseidontheaxolotl

It does look like it has a good amount of hiding places. I would try to bring the ammonia down to 0 (a 50% water change should do it) just to be safe.

Watch him and see how he acts with the others who I also believe are males.
Look for a longer slimmer body in males with a long analfin and larger tail.

E02ED484-3E27-44FC-82B7-6117FBC4328A.jpeg
Look for rounder belly, more muted colors, round analfin, and gravid spot in females.

95457533-DD48-4E94-B79A-64019B8F4E72.jpeg
The other males could be pestering him to the point where he’s stressed so try and see if they’re annoying him too much.

Also, I would check the temperature in your tank. If it’s chillier than the guppies like he may be slowing down.
Okay I will keep an eye on him. The temperature of the tank is about 78°. Do you think he will be okay?

AquaCaitlin

Okay I will keep an eye on him. The temperature of the tank is about 78°. Do you think he will be okay?
I think he should be okay. A water change, maybe some dimmed lights, and hopefully he will be back to normal soon.

Poseidontheaxolotl

I think he should be okay. A water change, maybe some dimmed lights, and hopefully he will be back to normal soon.
Thank you so much! I never really have the light on because it seems to help with algae growth. Thank you so much for your advice!

mukg

Yes, that's definitely a male guppy, the one with the silver body and orange tail since it has thin/long rod like analfin. I have kept all male guppies with no fighting problems, the problem arises with several males and few males, with the females getting stressed due to being chased constantly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tayler
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
Geragonz
  • Dan12boy
  • Guppy