Is my guppy dying?

Kashim

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've had 8 guppies for about 3 weeks now. I noticed one of them started spending a lot of time by himself a few days ago. Now all he does is swim in the same spot near the surface by himself. He doesn't even really use his big tail anymore, just the two small fins to swim in the same spot. Sometimes he'll dart around the water almost jumping out, but he mostly stays near the surface by himself with his tail drooping. Today I noticed another guppy starting to behave similarly. Are they dying? I checked my water parameters and they're all good. I don't see anything wrong with the guppy physically and my other fish seem happy.

ninilie

Valued Member
Reaction score
When i see my guppys acting funny I do a 25 percent water change. If anything it cant hurt them and more then likely helps. Sometimes guppys are just over stressed from the store and it takes awhile before they die unforunately in our tanks. Sorry my limited knowledge helps. Sometimes i will have a guppy die for no reason and all my best effort.

clinton1621

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The strange behavior of the darting and jumping usually is caused by ich, velvet, or bacterial infections with guppies... if all the water readings are normal, which you said they are, then those would be some things to look into.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I checked my water parameters and they're all good. I don't see anything wrong with the guppy physically and my other fish seem happy.
What are the actual readings for the water parameters? The test kits are pretty loose with their definition of "fine," so a ppm reading is a better way to make sure things are okay.
What color are your guppies normally? Has the affected one lost any of its normal color? As time passes, keep a close eye on him to look for anything that looks like specs of salt, fuzzy spots, or a tail that is looking ragged or getting shorter, as well as any open sores.
Lastly, have you noticed this guppy having long, clear, stringy poo?

Kashim

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry everybody, I've been really busy and didn't get a chance to come and read this thread. Unfortunately the guppy in question died the next day. To answer some of the questions.. My tank has been running almost 2 months and my water temp is 25C. My ammonia reading was very low when this happened, almost at 0. It wasn't at 0, but it was at the lowest level my kit can detect without it being at 0. Nitrite levels were also very low.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom