Is my gouramis belly swollen because of eggs?

Notwhoyouthink001

Hey everyone! I have another gourami question. My sunset thick lipped gourami has become increasingly round recently, and I’m wondering if she could possibly have eggs? Since my male dwarf gourami died I’m not sure if there are any other male gouramis in the tank, I’m also not super familiar with gourami mating habits and am unsure if females can have unfertilised eggs by themselves. She’s still eating and swimming and acting otherwise normal, but her stomach has definitely increased in size recently. Is this a sign of eggs? Some sort of illness that needs to be treated? Just normal gourami growth? Thank you!

I included a picture of my pearl gourami who I am uncertain of the sex, I know my opaline is a female but the pearl has always seemed kind of androgynous to me lol

(I apologise for the glare and reflection, it’s 9 pm in my timezone and the tank lights are out, my sunset thick lipped is usually a brighter orange but has dulled a bit due to the lights being out)

Attachments

• 68E30A99-DA35-43E8-92C5-D84E178510AD.jpeg
    68E30A99-DA35-43E8-92C5-D84E178510AD.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 30
  • AAE51F2F-AC1E-4018-B04F-16A7C730E7C7.jpeg
    AAE51F2F-AC1E-4018-B04F-16A7C730E7C7.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 30
  • CCEA1F91-2510-4497-A52B-C983ECCCA311.jpeg
    CCEA1F91-2510-4497-A52B-C983ECCCA311.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 30

New2fishlovinit

Hey ! I love my gold gourami (don’t tell the others might be my favorite).

Gourami are bubble nest builders, and if no male or nest was built……not sure thats necessarily needed for a female to produce eggs…..

However its is hard to judge “thickness” in photos but I think I see what you saying and it looks fairly normal from the images I found online and of my experience with my gold see images

little maybe 4/5 months ago 3” maybe

now or within last few weeks Closer to 4.5-5”

one thing ..- whats up with its fins ? The tail and top fins from the photo look kind of ragged? Anyone fighting ? I could not get my girl to get along with anyone from her own species (and she hates corydoras idk) she almost killed another female and harassed the male until he fought back and I separated them as well. Could also be the Angel I think I see … not always a happy mix as both can be territorial and aggressive seemingly at random. Good luck and keep an eye out and post more pics if she gives you the shot.

I also find that what she eats and she is a piglet, makes difference freeze dried stuff seems to give all my fishes bloating a bit. maybe cause they eat it so fast it has rehydrated until it hits the stomachs.

jinjerJOSH22

Females swell with eggs and then release them usually once a male has built a bubble nest at which point the male and female embrace under the nest and he fertilizes them. It could very well be she has eggs however, judging by her torn fins (tail and the dorsal looks misshapen)it could be something more sinister.
Could you fill this in for us? emergency template
By the sounds of it you have tankmates that wouldn't be very good for a lone Thick Lipped. This could be the issue or at least the cause.

New2fishlovinit

Took another look … does the pearl have a tear on dorsal fin as well? you may have an aggressive issue that could be adding to stress and sick. Glad the Guru is here, I saw you had a template from other thread So maybe update see what else folks can add. You have a big tank and I’m no expert but it’s got lots o fishes my friend, Again good luck to ya.

Notwhoyouthink001

Females swell with eggs and then release them usually once a male has built a bubble nest at which point the male and female embrace under the nest and he fertilizes them. It could very well be she has eggs however, judging by her torn fins (tail and the dorsal looks misshapen)it could be something more sinister.
Could you fill this in for us? emergency template
By the sounds of it you have tankmates that wouldn't be very good for a lone Thick Lipped. This could be the issue or at least the cause.
She had an accident that resulted in the loss of all her fins and tail last year and they just didn’t regrow the same! I nursed her back to health for a few months until she was able to swim again, then she was put back in the main tank. She looks a little raggedy now because of that!
Took another look … does the pearl have a tear on dorsal fin as well? you may have an aggressive issue that could be adding to stress and sick. Glad the Guru is here, I saw you had a template from other thread So maybe update see what else folks can add. You have a big tank and I’m no expert but it’s got lots o fishes my friend, Again good luck to ya.
Pearl had his fin folded in that picture, I caught him at a weird time but it isn’t actually torn!

Hellfishguy

Pearl is a female

MommyGourami

Hmmmmmmm. I have sunset thicklips and my favorite female looks like the fish in my profile pic (that's her). I'm not sure about your sweet girl. Do you have tank parameters? Can you list all her tankmates? What did your dwarf gourami pass of, if I may ask?

bcfishtanks

My female gets pretty round around the midsection, but not in a way that distends her stomach downward, as I see in the pictures. Other fish species do. For example, my cories get rounder, and some of my female also distend downward. However, all of my female gouramis (honeys and thick-lipped) just get rounder in that, you can really only tell if you look at them head-on, not from the side.

Notwhoyouthink001

Hmmmmmmm. I have sunset thicklips and my favorite female looks like the fish in my profile pic (that's her). I'm not sure about your sweet girl. Do you have tank parameters? Can you list all her tankmates? What did your dwarf gourami pass of, if I may ask?
She’s in an 125 gallon! She lives with angels, rose lined sharks, 2 other gourami, tetras, bristlenosed plecos, ropefish, pictus cats. I’m not sure what was wrong with my dwarf exactly, but I believe it was due to inbreeding and just the fact that dwarf gourami have a lot of health issue :(

MommyGourami

I can't diagnose your little lady from here, but I do think it is probably a health issue of some sort. Thicklips can really eat and they can easily get bloated/constipated because of that, but your thicklip also looks quite pale when she should have darkened to about the shade of the fish that's in my profile pic. A settled sunset thicklip will be a darker orange, with males turning ruddy and rusty (sometimes with bright yellow rims to their fins). I'm a little concerned that the bloating and the pale color would indicate another problem.

You can try an epsom salt bath, 1 tablespoon epsom salt with no additives to 2 gallons tank water for 10 minutes. Supposedly it will help to relieve some fluid buildup. But if she's acting ok, you could also try fasting her for two days to see if the bloating goes down, no epsom salt baths necessary. I do think long term she might do better in a smaller (20 to 40 gallon) tank away from the bigger, more active, and more aggressive tankmates, though. Lets her be the Big Fish in the tank.

Notwhoyouthink001

I can't diagnose your little lady from here, but I do think it is probably a health issue of some sort. Thicklips can really eat and they can easily get bloated/constipated because of that, but your thicklip also looks quite pale when she should have darkened to about the shade of the fish that's in my profile pic. A settled sunset thicklip will be a darker orange, with males turning ruddy and rusty (sometimes with bright yellow rims to their fins). I'm a little concerned that the bloating and the pale color would indicate another problem.

You can try an epsom salt bath, 1 tablespoon epsom salt with no additives to 2 gallons tank water for 10 minutes. Supposedly it will help to relieve some fluid buildup. But if she's acting ok, you could also try fasting her for two days to see if the bloating goes down, no epsom salt baths necessary. I do think long term she might do better in a smaller (20 to 40 gallon) tank away from the bigger, more active, and more aggressive tankmates, though. Lets her be the Big Fish in the tank.
I’ll try fasting for a few days and see if she’s less round! She’s always been pretty pale, and after her injury she’s never been as dark as she was before, not sure why. If she’s still looking round after fasting I’ll try a salt bath, will aquarium salt work the same as epsom? I think they’re the same but not sure. thank you!
Here are some more pictures of her! Having trouble getting a good angle due to glare

Attachments

• 0F36F218-DE80-4DC2-89A5-82FF48B448B0.jpeg
    0F36F218-DE80-4DC2-89A5-82FF48B448B0.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 707C8CE6-AC16-472E-9C53-EE53AE2E3C96.jpeg
    707C8CE6-AC16-472E-9C53-EE53AE2E3C96.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 12
  • FFF6C973-B893-4DB3-AB28-A09AF785F6DF.jpeg
    FFF6C973-B893-4DB3-AB28-A09AF785F6DF.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 10
  • 712F2881-CB29-41DF-A846-DC92DEDEC746.jpeg
    712F2881-CB29-41DF-A846-DC92DEDEC746.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 12

MommyGourami

She looks bloated. Unfortunately, Aquarium Salt is not the same as Epsom Salt, and aquarium salt won't relieve the bloating as much as an epsom salt bath would. Try fasting first. I'm concerned with her paleness, too, because that points to illness and swelling with fluid to me.

Notwhoyouthink001

She looks bloated. Unfortunately, Aquarium Salt is not the same as Epsom Salt, and aquarium salt won't relieve the bloating as much as an epsom salt bath would. Try fasting first. I'm concerned with her paleness, too, because that points to illness and swelling with fluid to me.
Will do! I’ll keep an eye on her and if the swelling doesn’t go down from fasting I’ll get some Epsom salt and do a bath for her

Notwhoyouthink001

Hey everyone! Here’s my gourami after a few days fasting. She still looks pretty swollen so I’m giving her an Epsom salt bath now. I also heard that mysis shrimp can help relieve bloating, but I wanted to double check that before giving her any. She’s still acting fine, and really wants some food lol, I’m not sure if I should keep up the fast even with salt baths? Or if it should give her a little mysis shrimp to help move things along. She has not pooped in few days since a stated fasting her, so I’m leaning towards her being constipated

Attachments

• 23C0C3B1-4DBA-41CA-A084-C6BC8B5629A1.jpeg
    23C0C3B1-4DBA-41CA-A084-C6BC8B5629A1.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 459A88EC-31E7-46A9-9DD4-70013389973B.jpeg
    459A88EC-31E7-46A9-9DD4-70013389973B.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 7

Notwhoyouthink001

Hey everyone! Still looking for answers about my sunset thick lipped. Thought I’d fill this out and see what new advice I can get

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 125 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 7 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 77 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
5 angelfish
5 rose lined sharks
3 gold rose lined sharks
Pearl gourami
Opaline gourami
Sunset thick lipped gourami (her)
5 diamond back tetras
4 pictus catfish
2 bumblebee catfish
3 African ropefish
1 stick catfish
2 hill stream loaches
2 bristlenose plecos
1 rubber nose pleco
5 assassin snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API water test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? 1 frozen spirillina enriched brine shrimp cube, pinch of pellets, pinch of sinking pellets, a algae pellet
What brand of food do you feed your fish? API, aqua zoo (local store)
Do you feed frozen? Yes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 7 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Stomach is bloated
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Fasting abs Epsom salt baths
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No but she had an accident later resulting in roughed up looking fins
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? She’s very round now, still acting normal

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
stomach is very round and bloated and paler than usual. She hasn’t pooped in 4 days either

Attachments

• 6B9D3C00-31FA-4068-9B87-357BE9A92CEE.jpeg
    6B9D3C00-31FA-4068-9B87-357BE9A92CEE.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 0EE250D7-A18C-49C9-A113-9C3953B470BE.jpeg
    0EE250D7-A18C-49C9-A113-9C3953B470BE.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 0CF6B53B-5465-45B3-909B-7BBA36B8AA84.jpeg
    0CF6B53B-5465-45B3-909B-7BBA36B8AA84.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 7
  • E7224708-2911-4585-A6D3-28624970D309.jpeg
    E7224708-2911-4585-A6D3-28624970D309.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 28DBF957-AAB1-4F15-8C48-B07EC916F968.jpeg
    28DBF957-AAB1-4F15-8C48-B07EC916F968.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 456D9F20-6CFB-4D0A-AF63-F177A3F3CACB.jpeg
    456D9F20-6CFB-4D0A-AF63-F177A3F3CACB.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 7

bcfishtanks

Hi, I was on your original thread last week. I can't fathom what it is. It looks like dropsy, but clearly isn't since she isn't pineconing and is actually normally. I'd say tumor, but those usually make for a lumpy look instead of a perfectly round look. Still a possibility, though.

Only other thing I could think would be that she has internal parasites that are blocking her anus. However, internal parasites usually cause behavioral symptoms in the fish because it gets that bad. I forget: did you look at her anus? Is there anything hanging out of it that looks spiky?

Notwhoyouthink001

Hi, I was on your original thread last week. I can't fathom what it is. It looks like dropsy, but clearly isn't since she isn't pineconing and is actually normally. I'd say tumor, but those usually make for a lumpy look instead of a perfectly round look. Still a possibility, though.

Only other thing I could think would be that she has internal parasites that are blocking her anus. However, internal parasites usually cause behavioral symptoms in the fish because it gets that bad. I forget: did you look at her anus? Is there anything hanging out of it that looks spiky?
I don’t see anything in her anus no, I’ve been keeping her in a net box so I can keep an eye on her and she actually escaped this morning abs was swimming around the tank like normal

Just checked her a few moments ago and there is something king and stringy hanging out of her, is this a parasite? Some kind of worm?

Attachments

• FE906ED3-5420-4D71-AB73-EC4753BAB287.jpeg
    FE906ED3-5420-4D71-AB73-EC4753BAB287.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 4
  • ED4995D8-4257-4A8D-938B-AA5289DB166F.jpeg
    ED4995D8-4257-4A8D-938B-AA5289DB166F.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 4
  • ED9A4ED8-06E1-4C60-96FE-412DE7934C70.jpeg
    ED9A4ED8-06E1-4C60-96FE-412DE7934C70.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 4

Notwhoyouthink001

Hey everyone, I wanted to give an update. I found a fish vet who said the swelling was due to fluid buildup, so I took her to another city to have the fluid removed. Unfortunately, she was unable to wake up from the anesthesia and passed away :( Dr said she had liver failure which was probably the root of the problem and there was nothing I could have done. It’s very upsetting as I was very attached to her but I know I did everything I could :( thank you for all your help and suggestions, it’s been an upsetting start to the year for fish I suppose :(

New2fishlovinit

I’m so sorry to hear. I have small panics every time my girl even has a hint of anything wrong. you went beyond what many would do again sad for your loss.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aliray
Replies
Views
Wickette
Replies
Views
finstastic
  • Question
  • MommyGourami