Is my Gourami glass surfing

Fishowner24

Is my Gourami glass surfing he goes on the bottom of the tank gliding against the glass. If it is glass surfing I think it is because of the fish he is with and I will move him to a 20 gallon tank with a divider because it has a betta fish in it right now.

Candace

Fishowner24 said:
Is my Gourami glass surfing he goes on the bottom of the tank gliding against the glass. If it is glass surfing I think it is because of the fish he is with and I will move him to a 20 gallon tank with a divider because it has a betta fish in it right now.
I would definitely remove the gourami. Bettas and gourami's are closely related, both are colorful and classify as "Siamese fighting fish". Same as any other fish, some are more aggressive and some are more peaceful, but more often than not bettas and gourami's cannot be housed together because they'll develop territorial issues and risk fighting.

Edit: I just read your other post. Are you talking about moving the gourami out of the tank with the barbs, rainbow shark and tetras to a 20g divided with the betta in the other half? You've already been advised to move the gourami out of the community tank due to the excessive bullying and I thought I'd read that you were going to move it. Long story short if you care about the fish you need to move it. It's already been injured by its tank mates once. I know you would prefer to keep the gourami in the community tank but if you keep dragging your feet when it comes to moving it then it will die, either from being attacked or from an illness caused by the stress. It should be fine in a divided 20 gallon.

Fishowner24

Candace said:
I would definitely remove the gourami. Bettas and gourami's are closely related, both are colorful and classify as "Siamese fighting fish". Same as any other fish, some are more aggressive and some are more peaceful, but more often than not bettas and gourami's cannot be housed together because they'll develop territorial issues and risk fighting.

Edit: I just read your other post. Are you talking about moving the gourami out of the tank with the barbs, rainbow shark and tetras to a 20g divided with the betta in the other half? You've already been advised to move the gourami out of the community tank due to the excessive bullying and I thought I'd read that you were going to move it. Long story short if you care about the fish you need to move it. It's already been injured by its tank mates once. I know you would prefer to keep the gourami in the community tank but if you keep dragging your feet when it comes to moving it then it will die, either from being attacked or from an illness caused by the stress. It should be fine in a divided 20 gallon.
Yeah that's what I meant but what I am trying to also ask is it fine for him to be in that small of a tank. It says they can be in 20 gallons. But I will move him

Candace

Fishowner24 said:
Yeah that's what I meant but what I am trying to also ask is it fine for him to be in that small of a tank. It says they can be in 20 gallons. But I will move him
It’s not ideal and I’m just confused as to why the betta was put in the 20g instead of the gourami, or if you already had the betta in the 20g. Either way the top priority is to get the gourami away from it harassers. 10g should be fine temporarily, what kind of gourami do you have?

Fishowner24

Candace said:
It’s not ideal and I’m just confused as to why the betta was put in the 20g instead of the gourami, or if you already had the betta in the 20g. Either way the top priority is to get the gourami away from it harassers. 10g should be fine temporarily, what kind of gourami do you have?
dwarf gourami

Fishowner24

Candace said:
I am going to move him but the weird thing is that I don't see them attacking them. Is there other ways they can harass him?

Candace

Fishowner24 said:
I am going to move him but the weird thing is that I don't see them attacking them. Is there other ways they can harass him?
Chasing may stress him out too, but if they’re not chasing or attacking that you can see he might just be afraid of them at this point. 10g for a dwarf gourami is fine, it’s the minimum they’d be ok in.

Fishowner24

Candace said:
Chasing may stress him out too, but if they’re not chasing or attacking that you can see he might just be afraid of them at this point. 10g for a dwarf gourami is fine, it’s the minimum they’d be ok in.
Ok thanks. I think he is afraid of them because when I was on vacation I don't think the feeder dissolved fast enough so they attacked him and the things that hang from him thinking it was food. Because he was fine before vacation when he was attacked.

Fishowner24

Candace said:
Could I put him in the other thanks for a couple months then put him back in the 40 gallon and see if he is not scared anymore.

Candace

Fishowner24 said:
Could I put him in the other thanks for a couple months then put him back in the 40 gallon and see if he is not scared anymore.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Fishowner24

Top Bottom