Is My Goldfish Ok?

Nicholas04

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My comet goldfish has been acting odd lately, he has been lying in the ground, not on his side, and not eating much either. Also there is some black coloring happening around his mouth area, but here are no white or black spots on his body and his find are in good condition as well. Please help if there is anything wrong or If he is ok. He also poops often.
56275b49a0068631d6971b15ac536d73.jpg

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Stringy poop is usually a sign of constipation. Is he/she still eating?

Just checked water parameters and everything is looking good except I am unable that test for ammonia as my test strips don't have that. I will check for internal parasites soon.
Don't treat for internal parasites first. We're still not sure what this is. @CindiL can help you out.

As for testing your water, try bringing you water to your LFS. Most will usually test your water for free and some will require a small fee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicholas04

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Should I use the garlic remedy?

He is not eating

But his poop is long and stringy and is always present

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What are your exact water parameters? If you cant test for ammonia just do a water change! 50% It can be the difference between life and death, that will totally discard water quality.
Try mixing peas with garlic and mash them all up, see if it will eat it. If dont then yeah, epsom salt would be your best bet.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would just start with a large water change first and see if there are any improvements.

MaddieTaylah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do almost 100% water changes sometimes and it never negatively impacts upon my fish or my cycle.

When unaware of the water parameters and having a sick fish, I would do a complete water change. The most important thing to make sure is that the new water is the same pH and temperature of the old water so that the fish isn't shocked.

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I do almost 100% water changes sometimes and it never negatively impacts upon my fish or my cycle.

When unaware of the water parameters and having a sick fish, I would do a complete water change. The most important thing to make sure is that the new water is the same pH and temperature of the old water so that the fish isn't shocked.
You also forgot to mention that the new water should be dechlorinated, lol

MaddieTaylah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You also forgot to mention that the new water should be dechlorinated, lol
I didn't believe that was necessary to mention.

Also, I believe it is better to do a Epsom salt bath rather than putting Epsom salt into the tank itself.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom