Is my golden barb gravid or about to explode from constipation?

SquirtsMom

Hi there - I have had my tank for nearly a year, and this fish is one of my original batch. It is very active, eating and swimming well, interacting with other fish just fine, and still able to dodge my turtle....the only thing is that it's shape is now really alarming!!! I originally thought it may be gravid, but it's been like this (to a lesser extent) for more than a month..... I have tried the thawed shelled pea trick for constipation.... and have placed it in a separate bowl to observe bodily functions more closely. I have yet to see it excrete, but it's eating with enthusiasm!

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Attachments

• Barb 2.jpg
    Barb 2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Barb 3.jpg
    Barb 3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 24

DoubleDutch

That's not good. I'd euthanise it. Sorry

Shrimp42

I wouldn't euthanize yet, especially if the fish is still active and eating. It may reverse itself. Just feed less, give it time and see what happens, but if the fish starts to decline that may be the time to euthanize.

DoubleDutch

I wouldn't euthanize yet, especially if the fish is still active and eating. It may reverse itself. Just feed less, give it time and see what happens, but if the fish starts to decline that may be the time to euthanize.
This simply isn't an overfeeding thing.

SquirtsMom

If it were gravid, how long would it be before eggs were laid? I have heard that they can reingest eggs (dissolve internally) if conditions are not right for spawning.

MacZ

If it were gravid, how long would it be before eggs were laid? I have heard that they can reingest eggs (dissolve internally) if conditions are not right for spawning.
Hard to tell, I have seen fish retain the eggs for quite a while and sometimes they laid the eggs unexpectetly, eating them immediately instead of just resorbtion.

But this fish is definitely experiencing something else. Very likely acute kidney failure. So I agree with DoubleDutch.

Just to make sure: It's not a shortbodied variant, right?

SquirtsMom

Correct - it’s a standard gold barb.
How can I tell if it’s suffering? Especially if it’s behaving so normally?

MacZ

How can I tell if it’s suffering? Especially if it’s behaving so normally?
You can't. Fish try to hide any disease or weakness until they can't anymore. Often very successfully so, until they drop dead, seemingly for no reason. But only when they can't fake it anymore it can be told with certainty that suffering is going on. Probably it is already.
So it's not about it currently suffering, this is simply a condition it will not survive.

SquirtsMom

Thank you for the perspective. I appreciate your help.

DoubleDutch

Sorry but this isn't a gravid female and neither it is a food thing.

This fish is deformed by another cause. An illness or a tumor.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Merlin daFishy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Frogchirp
Replies
Views
DeVere
Replies