Is My Fish Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by grumpygills, Apr 21, 2017.

1. grumpygills

grumpygillsNew MemberMember

I have a Dwarf Gourami (who we thought was a male, but we should probably get sexed) and it's been the only gourami in the 10 gallon tank for three weeks to about a month tops. The fish started bloating about a week ago but has shown no signs of struggling, discomfort, lack of appetite, etc. Our last gourami passed away from dwarf gourami disease and bloated but showed all of the symptoms, so it doesn't look like it would be that.

So how long is the gestation period for gouramis? Is it possible she was knocked up at the petstore and it's taken this long to begin laying eggs? There are no eggs as of yet but the fish seems to be near the top, blowing bubbles, eating regularly so I'm not sure if the fish is sick or it's something else!

18110066_1692664047417596_39624461_o.jpg

2. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (:Well Known MemberMember

That dwarf gourami is for sure a male, females are silvery with a few bits of colour. Is he 'pineconing' at all -- are any scales sticking out?

3. OP
    OP
    grumpygills

Not that I can tell right now. They don't seem to be protruding.

Could this be the Dwarf Gourami Disease then? Or Dropsy?

4. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (:Well Known MemberMember

Dropsy usually has the pinecone scales. It could just be bloat, or it could be the Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus. @CindiL will probably know more than me, I've never really come across Iridovirus before.

5. spbfish

spbfishNew MemberMember

Did you by chance recently put algae wafers in or similar food? I just had one looking similar after he ate some of my pleco's food. It shrunk down on its own after 2 days. I'm not sure I am out of the woods yet--still monitoring. Now I am soaking the wafer first to hopefully ensure any who eat don't end up with expansion.

Every turn is a new learning experience.

6. OP
    OP
    grumpygills

He unfortunately passed away the day I wrote this. I am lead to believe it was once again Iridovirus but this one let him live comfortably for a while until swiftly taking him into the night. I hope he was not in pain.

I'll keep an eye out for my fish picking off the bottom feeder food, but I don't think it would've caused the MASSIVE bloating he had.

Thank you everyone!

7. spbfish

spbfishNew MemberMember

Ug! So sorry to hear that :(

8. Katrina CValued MemberMember

So very sorry...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice