Is my fish pregnant??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mallorysmith44, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Mallorysmith44

Mallorysmith44Valued MemberMember

Does my female swordtail look pregnant to you guys and if so how much longer do you think she's got cause I would like to put her in a breeder net? imageimageimage

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. gocrow77

gocrow77Valued MemberMember

Definitely...looks like she will drop fry any time now.

3. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

That's what I thought but I wanted to double check. So it should be alright to go ahead and get a breeder net an put her in it?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  4. gocrow77

gocrow77Valued MemberMember

If you have another small tank it would be better in my opinion. When I was a kid and had livebearers I used them, but they always seemed to stress mom out. They don't have much room to move about, and nowhere to hide as they like to do when giving birth. But, not everyone has a spare tank to let the moms drop their fry in. I have also just collected up fry after a birth and put those in the breeder net if I can find and catch them - keeps em safe and mom isn't stressed. But, yeah your little lady is looking pretty boxy in the rear to me, so it could be pretty much any time now I would think.

5. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

I don't have one. I may just try to catch them after she gives birth and put them in there

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice