Is my fish pregnant ????

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Nnh, Aug 4, 2014.

1. N

Nnh New Member Member

I got this fish from the pet shop about few days ago and the woman told me she was going to give babies soon I have been watching her n she seems to stay near the filter and more on the top I cannot see her black dot but just a dark area with is mot too dark she is abit big and she is doing soo much poop the poop is really long and I'm very confused help !!!

2. celizabethh3

celizabethh3 Valued Member Member

What kind of fish is she? If she is a livebearer (guppy, platy, etc.) she is most likely pregnant and will develop a gravid ("black" spot) and her belly will square off.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

Yes I think she is a live bearer but I thought that she was a guppy it's soo confusing its my first time with fishes she has been shaking a few times and right now she is under the filter there is a dark arear were the black spot should be I just wanted to know when she will give her babies I don't thing that's possible

Is it true that the gravid spot (sorry) can be a diffrent colour ??

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  4. celizabethh3

Is there any way you could post a picture of her so we can tell you what type of fish you have?

I know that when females are getting close to giving birth, some of them will start acting oddly. I have read that they will lay close to the bottom or hide from the rest of the fish. Do you know what your tank parameters are so we can rule out ammonia or nitrate poisoning? I bought female guppies about two/three weeks ago and they are noticeably pregnant. Is her belly shaped like this \___/ yet?

5. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

Ok I will upload a pic and my fish is not squared off bit she looks a little

Attached Files:

6. celizabethh3

Is she one of the fish in the tank on the right? :) I believe they're platys. Is there any way you could get a close up of her body? I know it's hard because they're quite fast. I had a gold twinbar whose gravid spot was more orange/red than black, while my Mickey Mouse's was black.

I would keep an eye on her if she's starting to square up as she could be getting close. Is she housed with a male or is it another female?

7. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

I am yousin my phone so I cannot send the pics but can you help me I really want to know is my fish is pregnant so I can care for her the right way

8. celizabethh3

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407199711.700245.jpg

This was my Mickey Mouse while she was pregnant. Her gravid spot was quite dark. She hadn't squared off yet and never end up having her babies (which I figured out why recently.)

Without actually seeing close up pictures, I would try using Google images. Type in pregnant platy and you'll find lots of pictures. You'll see how big her belly will get and the shape of squared off bodies. I would guess that she will have fry within a couple of weeks, if not sooner. :)

Do you plan on keeping the fry? How many other fish are in the tank with her?

9. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

Yes she is on the right now she is alone I took the male out because I think she is pregnant and another thing in the night should I turn off the tank light or does it not matter ?? Thanks again

10. celizabethh3

I would turn the light off at night. Having the light on for too long can cause an algae bloom. I try to keep mine on between 6 to 8 hours every day, less if it's a very hot day.

11. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

Yes I cannot w8 i love the little babies she is in her tank and I have a male fish which is the same kind as her n I have 7 gold fish in the other tank

12. celizabethh3

Be prepared for an abundance of fry then! :) She can have up to 30 babies every 30 days or so. Even though she has been separated from her mate, she can still continue having babies.

I see that your goldfish are still quite small but they will eventually need a larger tank. I don't have any experience with them and it is off topic, but I want you to be aware of that for the future. You may already have other plans for them anyways.

Good luck with your babies when they come! Try to provide them with lots of plants or decorations they can hide in if you're able to.

13. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

I think that platy don't have the gravid spot I just was in videos on youtube they don't have then and do they eat their babies ?? And I am soo verry thank full to you your helping soo much and i am understanding a lot

14. celizabethh3

If she isn't pregnant now, she will be in the future. :) Some colourings can hide gravid spots but it's possible that she just isn't showing yet. How long have you had her for and how long was she housed with her male friend?

The best thing to do is research at this point, that way when she does become gravid you'll be prepared and know how to care for her and her babies. Yes, it is true that she may eat some of her young. I think it all depends on the fish though. As long as they have places to hide, you will have surviving fry so I wouldn't worry. And remember to be patient! ;) I have two pregnant guppies and I am *desperately* waiting for babies. Of course they're taking their time though, hehe!

15. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

Woooow that lots of babies I cannot wait I hope they live and thanks u know somuch about the fishes and now I understand how to look after the babies but I'm still not sure if my fish is pregnant shall I send another pic ??

16. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

Well when I got here from the pet shop she was pregnant but still I kept them together for 3days the woman told me she was pregnant and she will have babies in about 2 or 3 days but she still didn't I'm soo worried and excited but I just want to find out if she if or not pregnant

17. celizabethh3

Are you able to post a close up photo of her now? I can try my best to help you determine if she is pregnant or not.

Sometimes fish store employees give incorrect advice so I would not be too worried if she hasn't had them yet. Every fish is different right? :)

18. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

Ok I will send u one and I herd that pregnant fish go to the top of the tank to get air that's what my fish is doing it's biggish in size little bit dark near the gravid spot I'm still confused lol

19. celizabethh3

To me her belly looks rounded but hasn't squared off and I think I see a gravid spot, but it may just be the angle and lighting. My guess is that she's definitely pregnant though!

Does it seem like she's gasping for air at the surface? How long has your tank been running for? I would keep a close eye on her because one morning you may just wake up with fry in your tank. :D I'm sure another forum member will come along yet and will give you a better idea of how far along she is but until then, hang in there! It's hard to be patient knowing little ones could be on their way soon, lol.
    shiba815 has a platy log and may be able to help you as the fry are youngish still.

20. OP
    OP
    N

Nnh New Member Member

hy i waned to ask that i got another fish which is the same kind and she is also pregnant but she still has 2 weeks i put her in my tank with the other fish and i put some living plants and also got a breeding box because in not sure when the other fish will give her fry when is the right time to put ner in the breeding box

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice