Is My Fish List Too Ambitious For A Beginner? 55 Gal.

1. Distortionist Member Member

Hello guys, I have been working on a list for several days. I believe it is on the borderline of being overstocked and I am here for advice and opinions. The plan is to introduce each species at different times not all at once, with at least a week to a month in between, and in some logical order which I have not thought about at all yet.

I would like to note I have looked through a few of the suggestions on this form for stocking a 55 gallon, which is where some of these fish ideas came from.

Here is the list.

6 Cherry Barb
    3 Denison Barb
    6 Congo tetra
    6 Cardinal tetra
    3 Dwarf Neon Rainbow
    6 galaxy rasporas
    6 Espe's Rasbora
    6 Chilli Rasbora
    6 zebra danio
    6 otto
    2 bristle nose plecko
    3 khuli loach
    40 assorted shrimp
    2 nerite snails
    2 assasin snails
    2 Trumpet snails
    2 Yellow rabbit snail

I have 2 canisters at my disposal and a HOB filter as well (planning on using only 1 unless needed). Will be using an air bubble wall across the back behind the plants when the lights are out. I plan on having a corner and 2 adjacent sides heavily planted, with a thin flat rock "river" in the middle, a small piece of driftwood I have been boiling, and bigger rocks in one corner. The floor is planned to be carpeted, and well as around/in between the rocks and stones. There will be lots of plants and swimming space I hope.

Is this overcrowded or can I make this work?

Thanks!

2. april_fish Member Member

I would do less schools, so you can have more fish for each school.

Good luck!

3. JoJe Member Member

First off. If one fish can fit in another's mouth, there is a problem. So CPD/Chili + Cherry Barbs or really any fish over 2 inches is a risk. Second, without even looking too deeply at the species list, I don't know how you can get the water parameters ideal for all of those fish. If you have already matched them all and have target params, then ignore that, but it is important to consider. The sheer amount of filtration at your disposal (2 canisters + HOB) if you were to run all of it will definitely allow that amount of fish, so space is the only consideration there.

4. Retro Initiate Member

Honestly id say probably. Unless you got some major bio/mech filtration going on ( as in turning the tank over min 12-15x its volume/hr) a large pothos plant in that hob, and frequent water changes. I maybe wrong, and its just a theory, a tank theory. And those assassin snails will kill every other snail in the tank, so itd be a choice between them are the others.

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would do:
    8 Danios
    8-10 small Tetras and Rasboras
    6 Congo Tetras
    6 Kuhlis or Otos (They do well together. I just think that they won't all get enough food with the Plecos)
    2 BN Plecos
    10 Assassins or Nerites

No shrimp, the Plecos and Otos will outcompete them for food.

6. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I'm no expert, but I sometimes wonder if crowding too many species together, especially from all around the world, might be stressful for the fish. Makes for an interesting tank, but it's important to consider the ideal temperatures for each species, for example. Most shoaling or schooling species seem to benefit from lots of same species friends not just the minimum shoal. I prefer to stock lightly, why push it? A couple centerpieces, and one or two large compatible schools... that's just me, though.

7. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Just like you no expert, but I think you are right. I always have large schools of fish and that seem to work better than lots of small schools.

8. fishes were wishes Member Member

yes

9. Hill Dweller Member Member

It's very tempting to want to keep ALL the fish, believe me, my lists are as long as yours when I'm dreaming :)

But I think even if you can fit all those guys, their parameters are all compatible and they don't eat each other, it just might look a bit "busy". You might find it actually looks more impactful to cut out at least the 3 types of wee rasboras and up some of the other groups. I just had a few losses and it really showed me the difference between 6 tetras and 10 tetras. A group of 10 whooshing about looks so much better than 6.

Meanwhile I would set up another tank for those other 3 rasboras along with otos and shrimp to make a nanofish community all of their own because they are RAD fish!

Have fun planning, it's almost more fun, because it doesn't need water changes haha

10. PAND3MIC Member Member

I'm not sure where to even start- that amount of fish in one tank is going to have major space issues. I have a 55 gallon and I can insure you that the Bioload from that volume of fish would be incredible. You seem to want a tank of various shoaling fish, so I would recommend:
    -one school of 6 of the larger breeds in this list, like the congo tetra
    -two schools of around 10 for smaller species like neon tetras and Espe's rasbora
    -3 Kuhli Loaches
    -a dozen Ghost, Amano, or Cherry Shrimp, they likely wont be able to breed because of the kuhli loaches eating the eggs and fry.
    -one assassin snail. They don't breed like crazy and they will eat leftover flakes in the tank.

And keep in mind that this is still a rather large amount of fish in a 55 gallon, a 55 is tall and long, but not wide. It makes it more difficult for fish to maneuver when the swimming area is smaller, if it was a tank that was shallow and both wide and long, multi species coexistence would be more reasonable, if you get what I am saying.

You don't want the fish to have trouble swimming around, the said biovolume in a single tank will stress them greatly. If you were to put your whole list in a tank, it is likely that 75% of those fish will end up dying from stress or poor food availability. Imagine feeding over one hundred creatures at one time. It is not likely that they will be fed equally, they would literally be on top of each other. Not to mention a lot of those snails, like trumpet snails, will completely take over the tank if the kuhli loaches fail to keep up with the population. Many fishkeepers have found that diamonds may be forever, but snails are permanent. Once the population goes crazy, they only get crazier, with single snails producing up to 60 offspring at a time. Many people struggle to get snails out of their tank.

I hope you consider this, sorry for the extremely long post.

11. SFFishSticks Member Member

You have way way too many species for a 55g.

2 mid to top schools (with at least double the minimum school size) and one bottom shoal (in your case a crapload of shrimp and a few loaches) are all you have room for plus a few non-schooling fish.

You're putting absolute minimum school size of way too many species, and they'll all be stressed.

Skip the nano fish, they're sure to get eaten with the number of things you want to put in your tank.

1 bn pleco, not 2.

Why so many types of snails? Get a few nerite and call it good. You'll pick up others from plants, they won't get out of hand if you feed properly since you have loaches.

12. Distortionist Member Member

So if I replace the Cherry barbs with Amber tetras would that work better?

My plan was to introduce Trumpet snails first, they bread like crazy I hear, then the assassin snail, let him get a nice flavor for them. Then I wanted 2 nerites and 2 yellow rabbits in hope of one each being male, and re-homing the females, I really don't want eggs everywhere.

I tried my best to avoid fish that seemed to be out of the range, but this is all very new to me! I never even thought the fish would care if they don't recognize the species of fish with them. I can see them being cautious at first but they are all peaceful fish that I tried to select and I figured they would all just get along. I am certainly not trying to stress fish, nor do I want them to be unhappy. I want them to be very happy and active and live as long as they can! That is why I am here :)

Thank you for that. I will revisit my list and probably cut them out then. I will finish gathering all the opinions here and post a new list tomorrow if I can.

Thanks for your suggestions and the reason I wanted so many is variety. Read above quote. I will be happy with 1 BN. I can also remove the loaches. If it comes down to plecos or ottos vs shrimp competing for food, I would rather just have shrimp because of the colors they come in. Will they eat algae of my plants? Will a nerite, yellow rabbit, and an army of trumpet snails running away from an assasin snail keep all my glass, subsitrate, rocks, and plants clean?

I will let all this sink in and present you guys with a new list tomorrow. Thank you all, I am kinda overwhelmed and you guys have been a great help.

13. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

@BottomDweller can deffinetly help you with stocking.

imo a 55g shouldn't house more then 2 large schools with a nice "center piece" fish such as a pair of anglefish with 1 bristlenose pleco and a large school of bottom dwellers like corys.

something like this

10 cardinal tetras
    10 harlequin rasboras
    2 anglefish (male/female) or 2 pearl gouramis (male/female (
    1 bristlenose pleco
    10 sterbai corys

but bottomdweller will be able to give you a better stocking suggestion.

14. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I agree but a BN only reaches 4-6 inches and 2 is fine for a 55. It also depends on what kind of BN the OP gets. Common BNs can reach up to 8 inches, but Albinos, Lemondrops, etc only reach 6 inches and thats bigger than usual. I'm kind of a Pleco breeding nerd, and almost all fancy BNs have shrunk at least 2 inches over the years because they were bred for color, fins, etc not size

15. scarface Well Known Member Member

It looks like you want to try a little bit of everything. That's what pretty much comes to mind, looking at the list. As others have mentioned, less is more. I'm a darn hypocrite for saying this too!

16. PAND3MIC Member Member

That is an aquarist problem in general lol, you want to try everything. Aquarium building is more addictive than any drug

17. goplecos Well Known Member Member

So am I. I want a little bit of everything, but I've settled for a million different strains of livebearers. I just bred my first successful batch of Sunburst, Tuxedo, Micki Mouse platies, lol.

18. Distortionist Member Member

Well, I couldn't wait till tomorrow. I know there is still room for improvement, we will get this down but here is my list now.

3 Dwarf Neon Rainbow
    6 Congo Tettras
    10 Cartinal Tetra
    10 Galaxy Rasbora
    10 Espe's Rasbora
    1 Nerite (Male)
    1 Yellow Rabbit Snail (Male)
    1 Assasin Snail (To control trumpet snail population)
    X Trumpet Snails
    40 Shrimp

If it is still too much, in your recommendations just remove the Dwarf Neon Rainbow, and work with the rest please. I need to make sure my algae and cleanup crew is good this way without ottos and plecos.

19. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

still to much imo , dwarf rainbow fish are schooling fish and should be kept 6+.

Congo tetras get big 4" and in a 55g if you put 8 your pretty much stocked for schooling fish.

55g should be 2 large groups of schooling fish with "center piece" fish , if you dont want a center piece fish then I would do only 3 large groups of schooling fish.

20. Distortionist Member Member

Ok, I can remove both those. What would a center piece fish be? Is my list good without Dwarf Rainbows and Congo Tetras?