Is My Fish Gasping?

Jellibeen

I feel silly for asking, but the past few months have been such a whirlwind of tank problems that I am not even sure.

Quick summary:
Got 3 apistos who I later discovered to have camallanus worms. Treated for worms. A month or so after second treatment, two out of three are dead. Both were gasping. I treated the more recent one for a bacterial infection since that can be an effect of having a body full of dead worms.

So, is my one remaining apisto gasping or breathing normally? I attached a video.

edit: he is otherwise acting completely normal, which is adding to my confusion. I don't want to treat if nothing is wrong and I don't want to let it get worse and worse like it did for my other fish.

Kstambaugh11

I'm no expert, but if this is behavior that you haven't seen in your fish before, it's probably not a good thing. Maybe quarantine and see how it goes?

Jellibeen

It's not a sudden onset. He's been breathing like this for awhile, I think after the second Levamisole treatment. I don't know if I am over-analyzing since I have been trying so hard to save my fish. It doesn't seem to always be this bad, either.

Kstambaugh11

I guess you could quarantine it for a few days? That could be better to analyze the problem

TexasDomer

Can you list your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and temp so we can rule out water quality issues? His breathing doesn't look that alarming, sometimes my fish breathe harder than at other times.

Jellibeen

Ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5
temp: has been fluctuating between 76-80
pH: 6.8

I do 5-10 gallon water changes every one to two days. It is a 29 gallon tank.

If the breathing doesn’t look alarming, then I think he is okay. I’m babying him since his buddies all died.

Top Bottom