Is my fish a blood parrot or is it a red devil fish

Fishyboi22

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Hi,
I have a cichlid, I got him from my local animal shelter this August, and as such we were not told what type of cichlid he is. I think he is either a blood parrot or a red devil but is unsure . We don't know his age either but I don't want to do the fin test as he is very cheeky and wiggles around a lot in and out of water and I have no blades and don't want to use a knife so if that is possible that would also help
 

Attachments

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
473
Experience
More than 10 years
Red devil. They can get big and aggressive. Judging by the size he is compared to your hand, I’d say it’s not all that old or its growth has been stunted. Is your aquarium large enough to house a red devil?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
F

Fishyboi22

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
CrazedHoosier said:
Red devil. They can get big and aggressive. Judging by the size he is compared to your hand, I’d say it’s not all that old or its growth has been stunted. Is your aquarium large enough to house a red devil?
It is 240 litres and he looks more of a bright orange in real live than in the pic
 

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
473
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishyboi22 said:
It is 240 litres and he looks more of a bright orange in real live than in the pic
It’s good he’s more colored up than that. Hopefully you have no other living creature with him. I *think* 65 gallons may be enough for a single red devil, but I’m not sure. All my research on them has been done through the internet. I’m sure someone will pop on here and tell you their personal experience with a red devil, though.
 

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
420
Reaction score
186
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Put some holy water in the tank and all yer problems will be cured
In all seriousness, looks like a Red Devil to me.
 

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
473
Experience
More than 10 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Put some holy water in the tank and all yer problems will be cured
In all seriousness, looks like a Red Devil to me.
I think the OP may not have been ready to hear that they’re keeping the devil incarnate fish. Haha, I’m sure they can’t be THAT bad... if kept alone... with all fingers outside the aquarium when feeding.
 

INeedHelpLol

Active Member
Member
Messages
420
Reaction score
186
Location
Manhattan NY
Experience
1 year
Yep, best be safe than sorry! We don't want them to become one of them...
But then again when has that ever worked out well?
Wait, what?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
F

Fishyboi22

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
CrazedHoosier said:
It’s good he’s more colored up than that. Hopefully you have no other living creature with him. I *think* 65 gallons may be enough for a single red devil, but I’m not sure. All my research on them has been done through the internet. I’m sure someone will pop on here and tell you their personal experience with a red devil, though.
Yeah we saw online at the animal shelter it says 9
CrazedHoosier said:
It’s good he’s more colored up than that. Hopefully you have no other living creature with him. I *think* 65 gallons may be enough for a single red devil, but I’m not sure. All my research on them has been done through the internet. I’m sure someone will pop on here and tell you their personal experience with a red devil, though.
We are sure he is a male by the pipilla and how pointy his fins are but he has no sign of a nuchal hump, could it be that he doesn't have one as he has been on his own for a long period of time, I do regular water changes every 3 - 4 weeks instead od every week as he has strong filters and when we clean his gravel barely anything comes out, we also have pest snails but they clean up the tank which is good so we try to keep them but just try to control how many,
 

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
473
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you mean the shelter said minimum tank size is 9 gallons? That’s definitely not true.

I agree that the longer fins do indicate a male. He could just be young, and that’s why there’s no hump. I guess if it’s just him and a few pest snails, you wouldn’t need to do water changes in a 65 gal much. Just make sure to monitor your levels!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
F

Fishyboi22

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
CrazedHoosier said:
Do you mean the shelter said minimum tank size is 9 gallons? That’s definitely not true.

I agree that the longer fins do indicate a male. He could just be young, and that’s why there’s no hump. I guess if it’s just him and a few pest snails, you wouldn’t need to do water changes in a 65 gal much. Just make sure to monitor your levels!
That part about 9 was a mistake my phone was left upside down on my bed and wasn't supposed to be posted,

I guess the hump part is also to do with him being alone and not needing to show off his domonance
 

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
473
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishyboi22 said:
That part about 9 was a mistake my phone was left upside down on my bed and wasn't supposed to be posted,

I guess the hump part is also to do with him being alone and not needing to show off his domonance
Maybe, but all my male angelfish have been alone and still had their humps. Maybe a CA/SA cichlid expert can jump on and deliver a more exact answer.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
F

Fishyboi22

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
CrazedHoosier said:
Maybe, but all my male angelfish have been alone and still had their humps. Maybe a CA/SA cichlid expert can jump on and deliver a more exact answer.
Yeah hope so
 

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
473
Experience
More than 10 years
FitSoldier said:
Not a Blood Parrot. Red Devil probably. Here's my 5" Blood Parrot. :p
IMG_7379.JPG
IMG_7382.JPG
Blood parrots are quite cute fish. They look like a goldfish that was dropped in a cichlid world and had to adapt. My father had one in a 75 gallon that was with a large male angelfish and some other smaller community fish. It died before it reached maturity, but I sometimes wonder what would’ve happened if it survived. Are they relatively peaceful for a cichlid?
 

FitSoldier

Active Member
Member
Messages
433
Reaction score
381
Location
Greater Toronto Area, ON Canada
Experience
5 years
CrazedHoosier said:
Blood parrots are quite cute fish. They look like a goldfish that was dropped in a cichlid world and had to adapt. My father had one in a 75 gallon that was with a large male angelfish and some other smaller community fish. It died before it reached maturity, but I sometimes wonder what would’ve happened if it survived. Are they relatively peaceful for a cichlid?
Mine is actually quite territorial. Besides feeding time, it spends most of its day digging and chasing away any fish (besides the Plecostomus) that comes near its cave. He actually bit my hand when I was trying to rearrange the rockwork (he bites and then tugs hard, wasn't enough to draw blood though). But he doesn't fight or lip lock with other similar sized Cichlids in my tank.

I very much agree about the goldfish concept. Many people who see my tank and are not familiar with Cichlids tell me "nice goldfish!" lol
 

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
473
Experience
More than 10 years
FitSoldier said:
Mine is actually quite territorial. Besides feeding time, it spends most of its day digging and chasing away any fish (besides the Plecostomus) that comes near its cave. He actually bit my hand when I was trying to rearrange the rockwork (he bites and then tugs hard, wasn't enough to draw blood though). But he doesn't fight or lip lock with other similar sized Cichlids in my tank.

I very much agree about the goldfish concept. Many people who see my tank and are not familiar with Cichlids tell me "nice goldfish!" lol
That behavior reminds me of my male krib! He doesn’t go out of his way to be aggressive, but no one is allowed in or around his caves. I don’t think my krib would be brave enough to bite me, though. Probably not a good replacement to the classic angel as a centerpiece community fish then, right? I’m always interested in cichlids that can work in community aquariums. They give you that cichlid sass, but not that cichlid massacre.

Haha, yes, this is my goldfish that lives in a cave and would rather be alone than with other goldfish.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
240
Guests online
3,591
Total visitors
3,831

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom