Is My Female Molly About to Drop?

Discussion in 'Molly' started by JRC3, Dec 14, 2012.

1. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

About 10 days ago I introduced 4 female mollies to my figure 8 puffer tank. I got all females because I didn't want the sexual harassment or baby fish. Well several days ago one of the females had babies and I left them in and most have been picked off. I see two still in there and I've given them a place to hide around a powerhead they hang out behind.

I've also decided that I want a couple mollies in every one of my tanks because they have been algae cleaning machines. I never had mollies before because I didn't really like them but I found some gold dust lyretails and fell in love with them. I'm thinking why buy more when I can get some freebees.

Any way I've noticed another female looks like she's ready to give birth. She's huge but mostly she is running off all the other females and fairly aggresively. But she's doing this right in the open and the middle of the tank. Is this an indicator that she is gonna birth tonight? Should I go ahead and put her in a breeder?

I've never had livebearers before but I've had some luck with bumblebee gobies and I had some celebese rainbow fish babies but they never made it to adulthood. I couldn't believe how large the molly fry are.

Here's a vid. I had just turned an extra light on so it distracted her a bit. But she has the other females run off and runs them off when they come around.

55g /1.005 SG /F8 tankemate

Thanks.

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Breeding livebearers is quite subjective. Some look huge and never drop for months, some are small and drop. I find the nets stress them quite a bit. I had better returns by just scooping out the babies when I found them.

3. OP
    OP
    JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

I actually decided to put her in a plastic breeder with a grid seperator bottom. I also but in some java moss because I figured she might rest on it.

But You might be right. Maybe I should release her and scoop out whatever babies I can get. The main reason the first batch were eaten was because I had a juvi figure 8 puffer in there who was an over-eater...Though I did see the other female mollies snack on a few. My old F8 who is still in the tank could actually care less.

Thanks.

BTW the other females are huddled around the breeder with her...Funny.

4. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Just about any fish including mum will probably eat if they can. Give lits of plants and hidey holes. I once saw 2 fry in my tank. After an hour of scooping I had 20+

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice