1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Is My Female Betta Sick Or Just Bloated?

1. default-fish

default-fish New Member Member

Hello I am new to this website but I decided to make an account so I could get some answers for this question.

Anyways, I've had this female betta for about 4 months now, and shes always been on the chubby side no matter how much I tried to diet her (we've dubbed her Trish the Thicc Fish). In the past few weeks however, she's gotten a LOT bigger.

This is how she looks now. Very obese compared to this other betta I'm fishsitting for the summer. Her scales are not pineconed, and she's still eating like the little pig she is. I have tried fasting het a few times but I have found it difficult since she lives in a community tank. I have also given her a pea last weekend, but she still hasnt shown signs of losing weight. Her behavior is also normal for the most part-- she still swims around and bothers my Cories for their food (she never eats it though, just gets curious). Sometimes she sits in the cave or under some of my plants but as soon as I approach the tank she's back to her normal self, which is pretty active.

I cant tell if she is getting sick or just bloated from eating food she shouldnt have been. I'm hoping it ismt the former because I can't afford a quarentine tank or antibiotics right now can someone help me identify the problem?

2. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

I also have a piggy fish who steals all of the other food that I put in the tank since she's in a sorority community. I ended up getting a breeder net for $8 and when she gets too chubby, I stick her in the net during feeding times to make sure she continues fasting. Once all the food is gone, I release her back into the rest of the tank.

She does look very bloated, so I would try completely fasting her for at least 3-5 days.

Advertisement

3. Willed

Willed Valued Member Member

I’m no expert, but that asymmetrical bulge on her side looks a bit odd to me

4. OP
    OP
    default-fish

default-fish New Member Member

Ok thank you-- I will look into a breeder net as well, as it sounds like the perfect idea!

5. C

CrimsonTheRescue New Member Member

Im not an expert but you should fast your betta because constipation is very common in bettas and symptoms can include a bloated stomach. You may be overfeeding your fish.