Is My Emperor Scorpion Cold?

Mojo!

I know this is FISH lore, but I posted this on arachnoboards a while ago and never got a response. ANY help is greatly appreciated. FYI this is a real scorpion, so this has nothing to do with fish.

Yesterday I got an emperor scorpion. I have about 4 inches of eco earth coconut fiber, a 10 gallon tank, secure lid, a few cork bark hides and a very shallow water dish. My emperor immediately went into his hide on the cold side and hasn’t moved since the 30 hours I got him. I offered him food and he refused. What concerns me is my tank might be relatively cold for him. On the warm side I have a zoomed heat mat attached to the back side of the tank, and on the cold side, nothing. My house is kept at 68° and I usually have a fan running in my room. Is this too cold for him and the reason of his lethargy or is it just because he’s new?
Basically the main question is a 68° F house temperature with a heat mat on one side of the tank warm enough? I don’t have an accurate thermometer to measure the temp inside

Ipman37

The refusing the meal is normal it took mine around four days to accept food,They need to be kept around 70°+ there relative humidity should be 80-90% so lightly spray the substrate do not over do it I wouldn’t worry about the room temp just make sure the heat mat is working and he’ll move once he gets comfortable with his new surrounding and The emperor scorpion is basically “pet holes” they spend most of their life inside their burrows waiting for prey to just pass right in front of the entrance.

Mojo!

The refusing the meal is normal it took mine around four days to accept food,They need to be kept around 70°+ there relative humidity should be 80-90% so lightly spray the substrate do not over do it I wouldn’t worry about the room temp just make sure the heat mat is working and he’ll move once he gets comfortable with his new surrounding and The emperor scorpion is basically “pet holes” they spend most of their life inside their burrows waiting for prey to just pass right in front of the entrance.

Oh yeah I forgot to say I have been misting too

Mojo!

The heat mat is supposed to be 85-90°. So the distance from the heat mat might even slightly warm up the cool end to 70. But assuming the heat mat is 85-90 and the cool end is 68, do you think that’s healthy temp?

coralbandit

The temp should be ok.
Make sure you have cotton in water dish so access is easy .
I breed an Emperor to an African way back !
They are nocturnal so you may just be missing his activity.Are you feeding crickets ?
Do you have a black light [I know ? thing from the 70's] ?? The scorp will be fluorescent yellow at might under the black light ..Pretty cool little bug !

Mojo!

The temp should be ok.
Make sure you have cotton in water dish so access is easy .
I breed an Emperor to an African way back !
They are nocturnal so you may just be missing his activity.Are you feeding crickets ?
Do you have a black light [I know ? thing from the 70's] ?? The scorp will be fluorescent yellow at might under the black light ..Pretty cool little bug !

I haven’t fed yet because he’s new, but it will be a diet of crickets and mealworms

coralbandit

He should want the crickets .
I used the flukers fruit gels to feed crickets .
My experience is you can keep multiples together ,That is how my African black and Emperor cross breed.
So long ago I think I know where the photos are and have a scanner ! See what I can do.
I kept mine on sand with multiple caves in opposite corners at least .
I think I remember something being dangerous with meal worms like they live after being eat or the bite they inflict ? I shied away from them till I had the babies and then tried them and lost the babies .

fish 321

He should want the crickets .
I used the flukers fruit gels to feed crickets .
My experience is you can keep multiples together ,That is how my African black and Emperor cross breed.
So long ago I think I know where the photos are and have a scanner ! See what I can do.
I kept mine on sand with multiple caves in opposite corners at least .
I think I remember something being dangerous with meal worms like they live after being eat or the bite they inflict ? I shied away from them till I had the babies and then tried them and lost the babies .
I have heard of them eating their way out of the animals stomach if they are not completely killed. I used to feed superworms to my green anoles and I never had any problems because the anoles chewed them up pretty good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ScorpionGuy
Replies
Views
FishFor2018
Replies
Views
MD_Plants
Replies
Views