Is my ember tetra pregnant?

Revvex

Hello wonderful people of fishlore! Today I was feeding my fish and I noticed this tetra with a little bump on it's belly, and it kinda looks like there's eggs in it. I can't really tell as it's really small and hard to see and I couldn't find any pics of pregnant tetras online. Thanks!
1631873915966.png

Attachments

• 1631873893958.png
    1631873893958.png
    741.3 KB · Views: 11

RayClem

With livebearing fish, the male sperm fertilizes the female eggs internally and the fertilized eggs develop into fully formed fry inside the mother's body. The fish are borh alive. Thus, you can refer to female livebearers about to give birth as pregnant.

With egg laying fish the female ejects unfertilized eggs and the male fertilizes them outside the female's body. Thus, the female is never pregnant. If is often difficult to tell whether the female is carrying eggs. In some instances, it even is difficult to tell which fish are males and which are females. With ember tetras, the females usually have a larger air bladder than the males and their abdomen will well during the breeding season as it fills with eggs.

Although I have ember tetras, I have never tried breeding them, so I cannot tell you anything about their mating ritual.

Revvex

Thanks for the info! I know that males fertilize the eggs after they are ejected, I just assumed that "pregnant" is a term for bot carrying eggs and carrying fry.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
  • yukiyamallama
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
yukiyamallama
  • BlueGlofish
  • Tetras