Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all,

Just wanting someone to come and confirm what I suspect - I believe my Dwarf Gourami may have popeye. Managed to get a few pics - what do you guys think? I have never seen this in person before so just seeking a second opinion.

I think this may have been caused by a tank cleaning incident - a couple of days ago my DG decided it would be a good idea to swim up the vacuum when my back was turned (honestly, for a second!!), got himself stuck and then pinged himself out so fast I can't help but wonder if he banged/scraped his eye. If this is what caused the eye to swell up, what are the chances that this is a purely physical problem?

I have done a water change this evening as soon as I noticed it and have treated the tank with aquarium salt but wasn't keen on dosing the whole tank with anything else when I'm not sure what is causing the underlying problem.

Tank info: 46L Fluval edge tank, heavily planted, currently housing 5 x neon tetras, 1 x DG, 1 x jullii cory (2 more coming on Saturday- this guy was rescued from someone keeping him on gravel and his barbels had come off - hoping they'll grow back now as I have him on sand!). Ammonia 0, Nitrates 20 - this was pre water change tonight.

Any confirmation or words of advice appreciated!

Thank you

IMG_4483.JPGIMG_4484.JPGIMG_4486.JPGIMG_4490.JPG

Attachments

Airth

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This does look to me to be pop eye. I only had one case of this with a guppy who somehow got hurt. I put her in QT to limit her stress and since there didn't appear to be any infection with it (bacterial or fungal) let her be to recover without the added stress of meds. I'm afraid she didn't make it in the end. =/

OP
Sprogladite

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for your replies DG's eye looks slightly less swollen this morning - he is acting completely normal, swimming around, eating like a pig etc. I'm concerned that trying to catch him in such a heavily planted tank will cause him more stress than leaving him in there and just treating the tank with salt when I do water changes. As he isn't showing any signs of distress I think I will let him be for the moment - if he starts deteriorating I'll have the QT set up ready just in case. The other tank inhabitants leave him well alone (he is by far the biggest fish in there) so I don't think they'll hassle him at all. From what I have read about popeye it is usually either a bacterial or physical problem - I am fairly sure it is physical in this case so I will treat accordingly and keep on top of the water changes.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to the forum and I would agree that it is most likely an injury. I would not use salt in freshwater tank, It could do more harm then good depending on what other fish are in the tank. Keep the water as clean as you can to help with the healing, If you do end up treating him then QT him to treat. Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Alison

OP
Sprogladite

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update: DG is still alive and seems to be going strong. He is still in the main tank and is eating like a piggy.

I've been careful to keep the tank diet mixed with various bloodworms /daphnia/ flakes and have been doing water changes every 2 - 3 days. His eye is still swollen but it has gone down a little bit. I haven't added any medications.

Feeling hopeful that if we keep it up he will eventually heal his eye is clear, no sign of infection/ fungus so fingers crossed! Now convinced his eye is a result of injury rather than infection as it's been two weeks.

Any prayers to fishy god much appreciated, I'm rooting for this little guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 83 69.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 15.8%

Top Bottom