Is my dalmatian molly preggo?

Urbandreams

Just getting input on my dalmatian Molly, she's a big girl. Does she look pregnant?

We separated her just in case because she was getting picked on by 1 of the males. And we have 2 angels in the tank as well.
another pic, sorry she wouldn't stay still

BigManAquatics

Looks pretty preggo to me. If it is ever a question with livebearers, the answer is almost always YES!!

Upvote 0

Urbandreams

So, she has been separated for at least 3 days now, no babies. It doesn't seem to stress her too much but how much longer should I segregate her? Don't want to put her back than,, boom! Babies,,, boom! Angel fish feeding time.

Upvote 0

smee82

She looks like she has about a week to me her belly hasnt box off yet.

Upvote 0

Urbandreams

She looks like she has about a week to me her belly hasnt box off yet.
She is usually spinning all around last couple hours or so she has just chilled near the bottom.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

smee82

Honestly i would take her out, leave her out and let nature be. She will drop fry every month and you will soon be overrun.

They can store sperm for 6+ months after theyve been with a male so even if you don't have a male with her now its still going to be a heap of fry.

Also even then you will probably have some fry survive.

Upvote 0

Urbandreams

Honestly i would take her out, leave her out and let nature be. She will drop fry every month and you will soon be overrun.

They can store sperm for 6+ months after theyve been with a male so even if you don't have a male with her now its still going to be a heap of fry.

Also even then you will probably have some fry survive.
Appreciate the feedback, first time having a preggo fish.

Just want to make sure I'm doing it right, and being respectful of the fish.

Upvote 0

smee82

Theres a good chance having her in there will stress her out and she can abort them too.

Upvote 0

Urbandreams

Theres a good chance having her in there will stress her out and she can abort them too.
When she was out the males would go at her, causing her to constantly move around.
The white male still tries, do you think she will be safe if I let her back into the community?
When she was out the males would go at her, causing her to constantly move around.
The white male still tries, do you think she will be safe if I let her back into the community?

Upvote 0

smee82

She should be fine but With live bearers you want a ratio of at least 2m 1f to limit stress.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FindingDory
  • Question
  • thebestravenclaw
  • Molly
Replies
Views
thebestravenclaw
  • Question