Question Is my cycle on the right track?

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just set up my first aquarium on July 5th. It is moderately to heavily planted, and all of the plants are showing new growth even though some of them melted when they were first planted.

Because of the melting, it kick-started my cycle on accident. On July 7th (the first day that I tested my new aquarium) I had reading of:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

I was very surprised that it had already made it to the last step, especially since I hadn't added ammonia or done anything special. :) I assume that the BB hitched a ride on the plants I bought at my LFS. Anyways, On July 8th I tested the water again. This time the parameters were:

Nitrite: .50 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm.

More progress! Yay! Today (July 9th) I tested the water again. This time the results were:

Nitrite: .50 ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
(the colors are very similar, but it's leaning towards 20 ppm)

Anyways, is my cycle on the right track? Is it normal for nitrate levels to rise while nitrites stay the same? Thanks

OP
PaprikaFish

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
What is your ammonia source? Are you adding ferts for your plants? Strange that your ammonia reading is 0 each time and nitrates are going up.
I'm adding 2 ppm of Dr Tim's Ammonia, as suggested by FinalFins. My other source of ammonia is my melting Vallisnerias. There are about 3 really tall bunches that are melting back because they were grown emersed. (They are sending out new shoots though so they aren't dead :)) I'm adding Seachem Flourish as the ferts for my plants.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
This is one of the faster cycles. Are you adding 2ppm ammonia every day and if so is it going back to 0 every day? Did you add any kind of bottled bacteria? The plants may have brought in a bunch of bacteria and it is possible it was enough to really speed this cycle up. If that is the case the nitrites may never go any higher than they are right now and should actually start going down.

OP
PaprikaFish

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, I'm adding Seachem Stability as the bottled bacteria. I'm adding 2ppm ammonia every day, and the next morning it goes back to 0. Should I up the dose, or leave it how it is?

OP
PaprikaFish

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
If we are talking about a 12 gallon tank then 2ppm is plenty so just continue adding the same amount.
Yes, it is the 12 gallon. Thank you so much! :D

New Threads