Is My Customer's Tank Suitable For My Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lokipaysage, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Lokipaysage

Lokipaysage New Member Member

hello everyone,

I'm rehoming my 6 black neon tetras, and have got an offer from an animal charity worker who seems pretty trustworthy.
    I just wanted to check that she doesn't have overstocking issues before going ahead with the deal. so, she has a 120l tank containing:
    Yoyo loach x1
    Rummy nose tetra x1
    Gold barb x1
    Leopard danio x2
    Cardinal tetra x 2
    Bristlenose x1
    Tiger barb x1

what do you think? (I know she hasn't got any substantial shoals but I believe that's why she wants my fish).
    thanks so much!

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Once the fish leave your hands, there isn’t much you can do then. She’s got an oddly stocked tank, which I wouldn’t recommend keeping as is.

Your choice, whatever feels best.

3. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, I don't think there'd be an overstocking problem depending out what filtration she has running, my only comment would be that most of the fish she already has (tetras, danios & barbs) should all be in bigger groups for their own good.

4. ParrotCichlid

ParrotCichlid Well Known Member Member

By the looks of it i think she has strange numbers of each fish because they are rescues. If so nothing wrong with her tank.

Sometimes keeping a single tiger barb is better than that tiger barb getting flushed down the toilet.

5. OP
    OP
    Lokipaysage

Lokipaysage New Member Member

that's pretty much exactly what she said- that the least she could do was feed them and keep them in a well cleaned tank. thanks! I'll go ahead with it then.

6. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

Depends how many offers you have and how long you have been trying to rehome / how quickly you need to do it.

It is very much a "rescue tank" full of random shoaling fish kept alone and suggests that she is probably taking on the fish to save them rather than because she really wants them for themselves. The tank is not overstocked but it may well become so in the future as she "rescues" more fish. The tiger barb may be nippy towards your tetras if kept alone like that.

It's not terrible though. If there is a chance of rehoming them to a more cohesive community tank with a hobbyist who wants them on their own merits I would personally hold out for that, but if not, it's an OK choice. It depends on your area and how popular fishkeeping is to a large extent.

As said above, when you rehome fish, you really have no control over what happens to them after that point.

7. ParrotCichlid

ParrotCichlid Well Known Member Member

The tiger barb will likely be fine with the neons as its fine with cardinal tetras, rummynose and other small fish in the tank.

In my opinion we all get so stuck up in fish getting the right requirements that we forget the importance of people like the charity woman mentioned.

The neons would also likely be fine as they are all going in together in the established shoal.

8. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

No-one is criticising what the woman is doing. It sounds like she is caring person who is doing a wonderful job taking on unwanted animals and giving them the best home she can.

The OP was asking from the point of view of the welfare of his (or her) fish and people gave their opinions on that. He naturally wanted the "right requirements" for them. If this is the only offer he has, it's decent enough and it sounds like he has made the decision to accept it, which is perfectly reasonable.

9. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Absolutely agree, the world needs more caring & compassionate people like this lady in it, it's way better to have one or two fish of a species even if they are a shoaling fish rather than, as @ParrotCichlid has said, flushing them down the toilet when they're no longer wanted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice