Is My Cory Pregnant?

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have caught two of my corys "dancing" together and now the larger of all three looks a little bloated, maybe shes pregnant???

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm no pro, but it's hard for me to tell. I'm not sure that pregnant is the right word either. Cories are egg layers.
Here's a link to a video showing how she'll carry and deposit her eggs:
Cories Spawning

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
okay i see the eggs, mine does not have eggs. so why would corys vibrate/rub against each other, then start to circle together in the same direction, only two of my corys do this.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The male will follow the fem around and they kind of dance, making a T shape with the male above the female.
Keep a look out, the eggs may not have dropped yet

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had mine with guppies. The momma ate the eggs, not the guppies.
I didn't separate the parents as I'm not that interested in breeding.
Here's what I did:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/protecting-cory-eggs.62221/
Out of a couple of spawns, I only have 7 or 8 young ones, which is fine by me

There are other more experienced and successful cory breeders on the forum.
I hope they'll see this thread and respond.

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks lucy, great ideas, more responses would great too but for now im not that into breeding, just thought i might try to sell them to the lfs. idk.

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
what type of corys are they?

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
im guessing they are three lined or julie corys, i not for sure though, heres another pic form about 6 months ago

lucy, i think the they are for sure in the breeding stage, the smaller male wont leave the larger females side, just follows her everywhere.

still waiting on a experts opinion about a quarantine of the two mates. i really dont like seeing fish eat other fish???

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How cute!
I've never tried it but you can move the two to another tank. After she lays the eggs, put the adults back into their tank.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not only do you have to worry about the tetras eating the eggs. You have to worry about the parents eating the eggs. Simplest idea is to move the breeding adults to the fry tank and check for the eggs (they're pretty obvious) periodically. Immediately remove the adults once the eggs are laid.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
she is definitely full of eggs.
I'm with SDS, move them and when they lay eggs move the adults back to their original tank. Corys don't do any parental care but they do eat the eggs.
After moving the parents add a bubble stone to help add oxygen to the tank where the eggs are. Their really cute as fry but grow a little slow.
carol

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
okay, do i need to have a smooth bottom or some kind of substrate?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think the substrate matters less than the objects in the aquarium. Different species of cories leave their eggs on different surfaces. Some use rocks, some use leaf litter, some will use spawning mops hanging on the wall, some will use spawning mops on the floor of the aquarium, some will lay their eggs directly on the wall, some will use the underside of a rock, and some will solely use Java moss. These are just the ones covered by this past week's speaker at MAS (he was talking about cories). He suggested that, if you didn't know what they preferred, you should offer as many different possibilities as you could.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used a barebottomed tank with different sized and shaped rocks and a few terra cotta pots with a couple of plants attached to rocks. The Corrys laid on a couple of rocks and the glass walls of the tank. After the fry went free swimming I removed everything in the tank to allow for cleaning and easier water changes.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads