Is my clownfish okay?

PoppyD88

I have a 55 gallon tank, 40lbs of live rock, 60lbs of live sand. My tank has properly cycled, I put in a Scooter Goby, purple firefish, Wyoming white clownfish, and black Ocellaris all from the same LPS. The Wyoming white is about double the size of the black clownfish. It was attacking the black clown for a few days, i thought they were pairing but then i found a chunk out of the top fin, so i put the Wyoming white in a “jail” breeder mesh box. I’ll reintroduce the Wyoming in a week, then i’ll do a black out for 24hrs. Does my Black clown look okay? Will he be okay with just a missing piece? Is it possible fin rot? should i medicate him in a QT? Do you think they’ll get along in the future, even maybe pair?

Attachments

• 1CB2492E-0A88-492E-B950-9FBF62AB3684.jpeg
    1CB2492E-0A88-492E-B950-9FBF62AB3684.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 37

ChrissFishes01

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks just like a nip to me. It could develop into an infection, so keep the water clean (nitrates under 10 PPM or so) until it heals. He'll be fine until it heals, as long as no infection forms. No medication or QT needed.

As far as them getting along, it's hard to say. There's a lot more of a size difference than I'd generally like to see in a pair - my pair of Wyoming Whites are much closer in size. The male is maybe 4/5ths the size of the female. I've had aggressive pairs in the past, and IME, once you start seeing physical damage done to the male, the chance of a successful pair is pretty low. I'd keep her in "jail" for a while, and once the smaller clown is in better shape, release her and watch them closely. If you see any more actual damage done to either fish, I'd either rehome the smaller one and get one that's a bit bigger (just slightly smaller than your bigger one), or rehome the bigger one for one that's just slightly bigger than your smaller one, if that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kanzekatores
  • Question
Replies
Views
faywayway
Replies
Views