Is my Cloud Minnow Pregnant?

Dimmy

Hello, I recently got some white Mountain Cloud Minnows, I habe had trouble sexing the gender of them, I heard that the females are larger?? And less in red colour. I am now wondering if my Cloud is pregnant?? Can someone please help me sex them and tell me if ones pregnant?
Sorry bout the bad photos

Attachments

• 20210901_181414.jpg
    20210901_181414.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210901_181408.jpg
    20210901_181408.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 16

WRWAquarium

One fat girl there, probably is carrying eggs. With WCMM the males are usually a little smaller and more slender. The red fins on the males are more vivid too, especially when displaying.

Dimmy

So you reckon she's a female and carrying eggs? I noticed that she had a triangle little tummy a couple days ago, now she's fat! She's more aggressive and the others are following her around... she's now hiding in the log

WRWAquarium

I would say so. The others following her around is spawning behaviour by the sounds of it. A bit unusual for minnows to hide, maybe she's just had enough of the males or could be scattering eggs.

Dimmy

Shes hovering in the same spot, inside the log automent...

TheAnglerAquarist

Shes hovering in the same spot, inside the log automent...
Hello, I recently got some white Mountain Cloud Minnows, I habe had trouble sexing the gender of them, I heard that the females are larger?? And less in red colour. I am now wondering if my Cloud is pregnant?? Can someone please help me sex them and tell me if ones pregnant?
Sorry bout the bad photos
Looks pregnant to me…

Dimmy

Looks pregnant to me…
Yay! Do they eat there eggs? Will I need to do anything to protect the fry. Sorry only just learning.

WRWAquarium

Minnows are egg scattering so the female will deposit them over the substrate or more likely fine leafed plants and then male follows and fertilises the eggs.

I've not bred them myself but have heard WCMM are one of the easiest as the adults don't eat the eggs or fry as readily as most fish. Still may be worth separating fry from adults to raise them to a larger size.

TheAnglerAquarist

Yay! Do they eat there eggs? Will I need to do anything to protect the fry. Sorry only just learning.
Yes and yes, they will eat their own and the fry are really, really tiny, even for fry. If you don’t want to use infusoria I would reccomend liquifry no 1.
Welcome to fishlore! I didn’t know you were brand new! You will love this place and the people here

Fisch

And I see Neons, I would assume that they will clean up whatever gets scattered.

Dimmy

And I see Neons, I would assume that they will clean up whatever gets scattered.
The neons will eat the others fry.?
Yes and yes, they will eat their own and the fry are really, really tiny, even for fry. If you don’t want to use infusoria I would reccomend liquifry no 1.
Welcome to fishlore! I didn’t know you were brand new! You will love this place and the people here
Thankyou

TheAnglerAquarist

The neons will eat the others fry.?
Yes any tetra would. One thing you could do is put a divider in one side of your tank and put the female and a couple males for them to spawn, and then take the adults to the other side when you see eggs!

Dimmy

Yes any tetra would. One thing you could do is put a divider in one side of your tank and put the female and a couple males for them to spawn, and then take the adults to the other side when you see eggs!
Thankyou! I may look into that, I've noticed some spawning behaviours already, one of the clouds are hovering around in the automent and chases anything out that goes in their.. I think that the female may be trying to lay eggs in their?

TheAnglerAquarist

Thankyou! I may look into that, I've noticed some spawning behaviours already, one of the clouds are hovering around in the automent and chases anything out that goes in their.. I think that the female may be trying to lay eggs in their?
That may be so. I would highly, highly reccomend Java moss for breeding them. It will make the process much easier. But the divider is a must in my opinion unless you have an empty tank lying around (but then you’d have to cycle it)

Dimmy

Thankyou, yes I was thinking of buying some love plants to put in their! I've been researching what's good for them, the moss will hide the eggs more yes? I wasn't expecting them to breed, I've only had them for a week or 2... im still in the process of setting up my tank, I have stuff on the way.

TheAnglerAquarist

Thankyou, yes I was thinking of buying some love plants to put in their! I've been researching what's good for them, the moss will hide the eggs more yes? I wasn't expecting them to breed, I've only had them for a week or 2... im still in the process of setting up my tank, I have stuff on the way.
Yes yes yes live plants are better for your eyes and better in every way for your fish moss will help with any fish that breeds! The fry and eggs hide in there. I love my white clouds besides puffers they are my favorite fish. For live plants I reccomend Java fern, anubias and Java moss they are basically indestructible you want to attach them to rocks or wood though. Do NOT plant them in the substrate, they feed with the rhizomes. I would reccomend watching YouTube on them. And making threads about them!

Dimmy

Yes yes yes live plants are better for your eyes and better in every way for your fish moss will help with any fish that breeds! The fry and eggs hide in there. I love my white clouds besides puffers they are my favorite fish. For live plants I reccomend Java fern, anubias and Java moss they are basically indestructible you want to attach them to rocks or wood though. Do NOT plant them in the substrate, they feed with the rhizomes. I would reccomend watching YouTube on them. And making threads about them!
Thankyou, Will I need to set up another tank to make sure the plants, water etc had settled? I google you need to leave live plants for 2 to 3 weeks without fish in the tank.. I love my neons but im starting to love WMC as im seeing more colours grow on them. Im only starting and I'm loving it!

TheAnglerAquarist

Thankyou, Will I need to set up another tank to make sure the plants, water etc had settled? I google you need to leave live plants for 2 to 3 weeks without fish in the tank.. I love my neons but im starting to love WMC as im seeing more colours grow on them. Im only starting and I'm loving it!
You don’t really need to quarantine your plants, but it would be a good excuse to get another tank:D. Once you see the male white clouds display, you will fall in love! It took my best males about a month to color up nice, but boy oh boy it was all worth it! Lets see if I can get some pics… keep in mind my are golden!

Dimmy

Yes! I've been googling looking at other images of MWC to see what they'll grow into, and some look amazing!! I'm hoping I have more males so I have beautiful colours! They're only little atm, not very vibrant.. Its the first time I have actually kept MWC and My first tank really since I had 1000s of live guppies..ahh

TheAnglerAquarist

Yes! I've been googling looking at other images of MWC to see what they'll grow into, and some look amazing!! I'm hoping I have more males so I have beautiful colours! They're only little atm, not very vibrant.. Its the first time I have actually kept MWC and My first tank really since I had 1000s of live guppies..ahh
Yeah they are great. I am thinking of starting a breeding for profit tank with dumbo ear guppies

Dimmy

It could work, guppies breed very very very easy and quick. Guppies are great too, I just ended up with so many of them.
You're so noledgable man! As if your only 15.

TheAnglerAquarist

It could work, guppies breed very very very easy and quick. Guppies are great too, I just ended up with so many of them.
You're so noledgable man! As if your only 15.
Haha thanks, I have been studying nonstop for the past yeah and a half. Got my first tank in may, cycled it and here I am now, I am so thankful for fishlore

Dimmy

Haha thanks, I have been studying nonstop for the past yeah and a half. Got my first tank in may, cycled it and here I am now, I am so thankful for fishlore
What fish do you have ????

Dimmy

Can bettas (fighting fish) be kept in a community tank? :eek:

TheAnglerAquarist

Can bettas (fighting fish) be kept in a community tank? :eek:
Yes! You just need to know their personalities!

Dimmy

Omg well their you go!!!! Learnt something new.

Dimmy

I dont think It's pregnant, it hasn't laid eggs....

TheAnglerAquarist

I dont think It's pregnant, it hasn't laid eggs....
It can keep eggs for a few weeks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Passionfish
Replies
Views
cbcb95
Replies
Views
mollyboy13
Replies