Is My Cambodian Fighter Just Lazy Or Is There A Problem

gilly2402

Valued Member
Reaction score
i am a bit concerned for my cambodian fighter he seems to be lying in a plant alot not at the bottom but in the banches itself sometimes with head towards bottom of the tank and sometimes up side down yet when i get close he swims away like nothing is wrong is this a behavioral trait or is there a problem ...please advise if u have the same thing with your fighters ??? ??? ???

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
how does his belly look? is there any bloating? has he been eating normally? what's his diet? what are the tank water parameters and does he have any tankmates? it sounds like a swim bladder problem possibly - maybe due to constipation. just a guess at this point.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First of all, we do not use our bettas for fighting here and deplore the practice of using the lovely fish for this barbaric habit. If you are using the fish to fight any number of things could be wrong and let me say that bettas are not as a rule "lazy" fish.

There would be a problem.

Do you have him in a warm (heated with decent adjustable heater); cycled and filtered tank of a size of at least 5 US gallons with no tank mates or restricted tankmates in a community tank. (not wise with a cambodian betta)

How much are you feeding and what are you feeding? Are you doing water testing and what types of testing equipment are you using? How often do you change the water and how much of the water do you change at a time?

Please read the following:

Rose

gilly2402

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi guys ...most important is my Betta is not used for fighting i love it too much for that the temp is fine at 77 and his diet is flake and Daphne it seems to enjoy both ( i will get some pellets this weekend) its stomach is not bloated and its tank mates are listed in signature Ive noticed a very tiny black line around its gills but i think that maybe its natural colouring in that place

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm.. that makes me thing more that it is swim bladder disease - here are the symptoms:
"Fish struggles to swim, may float with head tipped down, or have difficulty surfacing, no balance, etc. May occur after eating."

The recommended treatment if he has that would be:
"Stop feeding for 3-4 days. If symptoms persist, feed the affected fish a small amount of fresh spinach or a green pea without the skin (laxatives)."

If you can bump the water temp. up a little, he would be happier at 80F. I'd also watch to see if he and the gourami are having any confrontations. What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? what do you treat the tap water with? and have any other fish shown any symptoms?

EDIT: I also wanted to ask how old he is?

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Storm & Neptune are lovers, not fighters...............LOL

gilly2402

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi FL BettaCouple thanks for advice here are some answers to your questions ... he/she does not seem to be struggling with anything i think its just plain lazy .... i do a water change of 10%(more if levels high usually a 40%) every 4 days cleaning the gravel at same time levels are fine at moment ...Ph 7.6 amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 so i don't think its anything to do with tank itself. i only saw my betta confront the gourami after a few hours but they seem to stay at opposite ends of tank since then( no damage to either fish)the rest of tank population fine with them although i haven't seen my freshwater shrimp for a couple of days and i cant see a skin thats been shed so i wonder if thats got something to do with it.... :-\ :-\
hope this answers everything if not just ask what you need to know many thanks .... Gilly

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hmmm.. is he older? how long have you had him.. lethargic behavior can indicate internal trouble like infection or parasites.. did the current behavior just start one day or did he slowly get to this state?

gilly2402

Valued Member
Reaction score
if someone can explain how to post a piccie on this thread i will post a picture of him in his slumber lol there doesnt seem to be anything wrong apart from this habit its got so i just think hes a tree hugger lol....peace man

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When you post a reply, click on 'additional options..." then the 'Browse' button to add a pic.

gilly2402

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi huys its not a great pic more of a practice run will try and get a better photo i took this one on my phone ...wat do u think i dont know how to get picture smaller sorry

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nothing looks wrong in that pic.

gilly2402

Valued Member
Reaction score
hopefully this will work so here goes ...heres a link to a little video of tank enjoy all

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
from his behavior and watching the video, i think he might just be stressing from his tank mates, especially the gourami. have you recently treated him for fin rot? It looks as if the neons might have nipped him some, and there are no other signs of any physical problems.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom