Is my bucket OK? Important

1. Fish'd Member Member

I just realized something a few minutes ago.

My mom works at a hotel in the kitchen, so she constantly gets buckets of food. When they're empty, she sets them aside in case she ever needs them. I asked for two of those buckets; they used to contain peaches.

I've had these buckets for about a month, so if these buckets have seen soap (which they probably have) are they OK? It's been awhile. What about the glass I use to pour water into my filter? It's a regular drinking glass, so it's seen soap.

My tank is about 4-5 days old, so by the time it cycles, will any of the soap still be... effective, for lack of a better word? It's a 1 gallon (I think) bucket, so it took a ton of trips to the kitchen, and a lot of rinsing... does that make a difference?

Thanks!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if they are rinsed out a few times with boiling water, you should be allset with both of them

3. Fish'd Member Member

That was fast. :O

The water was pretty hot at one point, and I haven't really used the other yet, but I'll go rinse them later to be sure.

Thanks for responding. <3

4. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Having been used for food you shouldn't need to worry about it too much. Like Shawnie says, if they are rinsed with boiling water a few times they should be fine.

5. Fish'd Member Member

OK, thank you!

6. sun82 Member Member

U may also try n dry it under the sun apart from rinsing it with hot water. I doubt if that's possible at this point of the year. But do make sure that there is no smell of food or any chemicals. Poor fishes are allergic to any chemicals!