Is My Bronze Cory Eggbound?

1. B

Bells87 Member Member

She grew a lot quicker and has always been bigger than the rest of the school but ive noticed shes very rounded, even looking at her fron the front. Even before feeding. Is she egg bound? And should I lower the temp to get her to drop the eggs? Tank is currently at 28C (I know, a little on the high side for cories, but these were tank raised by a local breeder in 30C water--we live in a tropical country where the room temp is 28-30C). Other inhabitants would be alright with a small temp drop (cardinals and espies).

Attached Files:

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, she does look like she's full of eggs.
    A cool water change dropping the temperature a few degrees would probably encourage the group to spawn, you may have to do a few cool water changes over a day or two to trigger them

3. OP
    OP
    B

Bells87 Member Member

Thank you! Thats great news. Im so excited to be a mom hahah any advice how to deal with the eggs once theyre layed? And how to tell once theyre fertilized etc?

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

5. OP
    OP
    B

Bells87 Member Member

Thank you! Quick question, would it be okay to transfer all the cories (5 bronze, 1 albino) into a 5 gallon (I would put in a cycled sponge filter) while they spawn? I'm afraid the cardinal tetras and/or the espies would get to the eggs before I can!

I'll return the adults to their regular tank oncr the eggs have been hatched

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

The corys themselves are a bigger risk.
    I'd leave them and get the eggs out.