Is my blue 3 spot gourami sick? (Pic attached) 60 Gallon Tank 

Hanneman

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Long time reader, first time poster. I have a question about my 3 Spot GouramI that I've had for 6 months. During the first several months, he was active, extroverted, and nonaggressive. However, for the past ~1.5 months, he has become quite shy, timid, and easily frightened. Also, he spends most of his time hiding in a decoration. He comes out at feeding time and briefly at night. I figured that he was spooked by something and that he would lose his shyness in time.

Also, I recently noticed some brown discoloration, similar to a bruise, on his body and head. He has several of them on both sides of his body Sorry for the pic, but it was the least blury one. Are these bruises, an indication of malnutrition, the sympton of a disease or parasite, or something else?

Water:
Ammonia and Nitrites:0
Nitrates: 20-30 ppm
pH: ~7.4
78 F
20-25% water change weekly

Tank mates:
3 Platies (female, adult)
1 Dalmation Molly (female, adult)
14 Dalmation Molly (female, ~9 months old)
6 Black Neon Tetas

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore
Pic is kinda hard to see anything. Any chance of getting something in front of the decorations? I know he's shy and you don't wanna stress him out anymore than he already is. Does he dart around the tank when spooked or anything? Do the spots seem sunken or puffy? Really hard to say anything with such a limited view.Have you added anything new to the tank recently(decorations etc)?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, if you could get a picture of the whole fish, it would greatly help.

Hanneman

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would've said that the spots do not look puffy, more like a subdermal bruise. However, I just noticed how bad his left side looks. There is a redish spot by his eye where the scales are missing and the skin looks damaged. Also, there is a white bump just northeast of his "middle" spot.

TIA

Attachments

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like it may be the beginning of some sort of bacterial infection. I did a little googling about this and saw in more than one place people were using Stress Coat to treat it and seems to have a positive result in all cases. He may also be banging himself around on that deco he's hangin out in.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
blkdeath75 said:
I did a little goggling about this and saw in more than one place people were using Stress Coat to treat it and seems to have a positive result in all cases.
I found the same thing when I googled

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had a similar problem with one of mine, thought it was the golden 3 spot picking on my blue gourami, I used melafix and pima fix and she is doing great, stress coat would work as well, could be the decor I don't see any aggression issues with your stocking,

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Do NOT use Melafix with any labrynth fish, it can harm them. There is a thread here about it but it's a big pain to dig up links on my iPod. It's titled something like "Warning Betta Owners, Melafix is toxic." Since gouramis have labrynths too, the same applies to them. Bettafix is safe for them, and Pimafix is safe too.

Not knowing what that is on him, I'd move him to a QT. It may be trauma, or infection or a combination. Daily water changes and using StressCoat, Bettafix, Pimafix, Vitachem and/or soaking his food in a bit of garlic juice can help.

-Lisa

Hanneman

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you all for the input. Mr. Blue is currently recovering in a 3-gallon QT (since Friday) with 25% PWC daily and treating the water with Stresscoat. His condition is improving. The white bumps are gone, the skin underneath was red. The redness disappeared after a day or so. Also, the brown spots are fading. By Monday, his appetite cam back, and his color/spots are coming back.

His tail was damaged while I was at work on Friday - I knew I shouldn't have gone in on a furlough day. There is a small tear between the tail and end of the body. It was originally red and a little bloody, but it seems to be healing. The top third of tail is limp and pale though.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads