Is My Blood Parrot Injured?

fishlover25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Today I noticed something odd in one of my blood parrot fish. Part of its face is white. It's not fuzzy. It just looks white instead of the orange color it has everywhere else. I have two other blood parrots that doesn't have this. I think it could be an injury because during feeding, the blood parrots tend to fight until all the food is gone. Attached are the best pics I could get. I included one with two of them for comparison.
I also noticed that the edges of its gills are a bit red but I'm not sure if it is normal for blood parrots.

Specs for the water is 0 ammonia and nitrite and 5-10 nitrate. I keep the water at around 78-80F.
b06b102d493fce5591a48ca935e5047d.jpg
fa5f41be7a6287e2b5b1c9f01bbfe36c.jpg
46b38ca1a03bac1f6497cdac386441f8.jpg
f3acdbdc5ab0fade4e94e9ef5f26d8c3.jpg

xlr8er89

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Its so hard to see or tell but could be from fighting, I know my blood parrots will lift scales off of each other now and then but this happens more on the mid belly for mine but does leave similar looking areas. Does the mouthes on the blood parrots work? Can they fully close? Could it have scraped it's self on a rock or decoration? Also is it the less dominate blood parrot?

fishlover25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is the less dominant one. By nature blood parrot mouths don't close. It behaves the same as my other blood parrots. The only difference is the white area. It's possible it scraped itself since they sometimes panic when someone walks by.

xlr8er89

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Some blood parrots of "lesser quality" have near to complete working mouths i have seen only two out of a few dozen. I bet its just a scrape.

fishlover25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm my case, all 3 cannot fully close their mouth. The white spot is still there but he's still healthy and active. I guess it is just a scrape.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom