Is my betta too hot or is something else going on?

Semnmoz

Hi there everyone!

Hoping to get some guidance. I have my betta fish in his temporary housing while his new tank finishes cycling. I’m about 5 weeks in and I’m only at the stage of ammonia slowly building up with fish food being added in daily. So I have a ways to go.

I know I know I should have waited to get the fish last when the tank was good to go but the poor guy looked sad and definitely looks so much happier in a bigger container while he waits for his new home to be ready. I do 50% water changes in his container every few days.

I live in Rhode Island and we’ve had some cold nights recently and my guy went from being active to lethargic pretty quickly. I temped his water with a meat thermometer I bought specifically for water temping for him and it said it was 64.8 degrees, way too cold for him. So I went out and bought the lowest watt betta heater I could to warm up the guys water. I been slowly monitoring the temp and it got to 74-78 degrees which was fantastic and he seemed happier. Today I temp (it’s raining and it’s warmer outside) and when I temped the top of the water it was 82-83 but as I got deeper in the container it went back down to 78-77. It seems to be the same temp on the side of the heater as the opposite side, only difference is it’s warmer on the top of the water vs deeper in the water. Is my thermometer not accurate? The thermostat on the tank always reads 74ish so I don’t think it’s accurate.

Anyway, my betta is looking lethargic all over again and I notice he’s hanging on the opposite side of the heater indicating he may be too hot? I turned off the heater and I’m letting it cool down to see if he becomes more active again. I’m thinking of getting a bigger temporary container so he has more room away from the heater if he wants to cool down.

If I’m overlooking something please feel free to reach out. Thanks for your help!
You must be registered to see images

BigManAquatics

Temp should be ok. May be lethargic as well due to being stressed and bored with nowhere to hide and nothing to explore. If the higher temp is an issue, it's probably because i see no aeration. Warmer temps generally mean less oxygen in the water.

Upvote 0

peachsonas

Do you have a filter or some kind of water flow like an airstone in there? Water flow helps distribute the temp around the tank. Also, I agree with above comment. Maybe a hide or a fake plant would do him well.

Upvote 0

Semnmoz

Temp should be ok. May be lethargic as well due to being stressed and bored with nowhere to hide and nothing to explore. If the higher temp is an issue, it's probably because i see no aeration. Warmer temps generally mean less oxygen in the water.
I just ordered a cave for the little guy to put in his temporary house. I honestly thought he would not be in there very long since I had been cycling my 5 gallon tank for him so long now. I’ll have to either consider getting a small tank with a water filter and heater meanwhile or idk what else at this point. ‍♀️ I worry the heater is too much in his container now so I’m thinking a bigger temporary housing with a filter might be better meanwhile. What do you think? I need guidance.
Do you have a filter or some kind of water flow like an airstone in there? Water flow helps distribute the temp around the tank. Also, I agree with above comment. Maybe a hide or a fake plant would do him well.
No I do not, instead I do frequent water changes and cleaning the bottom of the tank. I have his cave coming in the mail! I honestly didn’t think he’d be in his temp housing this long since I’ve been cycling this tank for at least 5 weeks now.

Upvote 0

Bgreen82

I just ordered a cave for the little guy to put in his temporary house. I honestly thought he would not be in there very long since I had been cycling my 5 gallon tank for him so long now. I’ll have to either consider getting a small tank with a water filter and heater meanwhile or idk what else at this point. ‍♀️ I worry the heater is too much in his container now so I’m thinking a bigger temporary housing with a filter might be better meanwhile. What do you think? I need guidance.

No I do not, instead I do frequent water changes and cleaning the bottom of the tank. I have his cave coming in the mail! I honestly didn’t think he’d be in his temp housing this long since I’ve been cycling this tank for at least 5 weeks now.
The temperature shouldn’t be an issue, bettas like warm water. I would get a plant to put in there with him even if it’s a fake plant. Also, if he was in water that was cold and quickly moved to warm water it could cause problems. I would recommend trying to slowly raise the temperature by ~4 degrees a day. Once he gets some coverage in that small tank he should be ok until his tank is ready if you keep his water clean. I have a female that I am doing the same with right now, it’s frustrating but patience will pay off.

Upvote 0

Semnmoz

The temperature shouldn’t be an issue, bettas like warm water. I would get a plant to put in there with him even if it’s a fake plant. Also, if he was in water that was cold and quickly moved to warm water it could cause problems. I would recommend trying to slowly raise the temperature by ~4 degrees a day. Once he gets some coverage in that small tank he should be ok until his tank is ready if you keep his water clean. I have a female that I am doing the same with right now, it’s frustrating but patience will pay off.
The reason I got worried the heater was too much is because he was lethargic before it I believe because it was too cold and then when I put the heater in, he started acting even weirder. He kinda floats in a somewhat vertical position but angled, nose up. So I had thought the heat lowered the oxygen too much for him and since there isn’t any water flow I thought he didn’t enjoy it.
How do you control the temp increase a day? The betta heater I have doesn’t have adjustable temping.

Upvote 0

Bgreen82

The reason I got worried the heater was too much is because he was lethargic before it I believe because it was too cold and then when I put the heater in, he started acting even weirder. He kinda floats in a somewhat vertical position but angled, nose up. So I had thought the heat lowered the oxygen too much for him and since there isn’t any water flow I thought he didn’t enjoy it.
How do you control the temp increase a day? The betta heater I have doesn’t have adjustable temping.
With a fixed temperature heater there really isn’t an effective way to do it. You can constantly monitor it and unplug it over and over but that’s not really feasible. I was just letting you know that could be one of the reasons he is being a bit lethargic. As far as the oxygen content goes, he should be ok, they can live in stagnant waters in the wild. Just keep his water in his temporary home clean. Is he doing better today?

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

Honestly it makes much more sense just to move him to the cycling tank and do a fish-in cycle since it's easier to control parameters with more water volume. Ammonia will accumulate much more quickly in his tiny container than in the cycling 5 gallon. It would also solve the problem of him not having any where to hide and it would be easier to control the temp.

Just do a big WC to ensure ammonia and nitrites are under 0.50 ppm combined and move him to the 5 gallon.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Honestly it makes much more sense just to move him to the cycling tank and do a fish-in cycle since it's easier to control parameters with more water volume. Ammonia will accumulate much more quickly in his tiny container than in the cycling 5 gallon. It would also solve the problem of him not having any where to hide and it would be easier to control the temp.

Just do a big WC to ensure ammonia and nitrites are under 0.50 ppm combined and move him to the 5 gallon.
My thoughts exactly and is the advice I gave on the thread discussing the tank for this little guy.

Upvote 0

Semnmoz

Thanks for the advice. I recently did just that and I replied to another member on my thread about how he’s doing if you were curious. Thanks again, what you suggested definitely makes the most sense.

Upvote 0

JuDom

New here, just reading thru the thread. How is the little guy doing now? Did adding him into the 5gal help finish your cycling?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
WiccaFish
Replies
Views
TNBarnBum
Replies
Views
Debbie1986