Is My Betta Strong Enough for the Cycle?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by anphaaam, Dec 27, 2012.

1. a

anphaaam New Member Member

I've recently picked up a 10 gal fish tank 4 days ago, set it up and got it running.

I have a:
    - Filter (included in the kit)
    - Heater
    - Mossball
    - 1 Anubia plant 3 Amazon sword

I have been extremely confused due to many different advices from different LFS. I have put conditioner in (on the first day), sea salt, and am currently using seachem stability to 'start' my tank.

My betta seems to be just floating in the top corner for a long time and then to the bottom corner for a long time so I was wondering if this means anything?

Questions I have that would be great if answered:
    How long will it take to go through the Nitrification cycle with just one betta?
    Should I get more fish to speed up the Nitrification process?
    Do i need to make changes to my tank due to the signs of my betta?
    Have you used Seachem Stability/how did you use it/what will it do?

My betta is a little baby by the way.

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I wouldn't get more fish it may speed it up but you will lose them so just keep up with adding beneficial bactieria and for the Betta issues I may be wrong but it sounds like a normal Betta (they don't do much)

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Did you just get this betta? If so give him time to get use to the new larger home!

don't get any more fish... this won't speed up the process and all you will do is get the fish killed.
    Do you have a test kit you may need to test the water... the best kit out there is API master liquid test kit don't waste money on the strips they can be inaccurate.
    I have never heard of seachem stability so i can't say anything on that...

Oh and while do a fish in cycle you will need to do at least a 20% water change daily until your tank is cycled (you'll need the test kit to know that)

Other will come with better advice just wait a bit :) and welcome to fishlore!

4. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Freshwater Aquarium Fish Beginner's Guide

The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Like said above. Do not add anymore fish.

How long will it take to go through the Nitrification cycle with just one betta? Varies.
    Should I get more fish to speed up the Nitrification process? No. Once the process is done, what would be done with the fish?
    Do i need to make changes to my tank due to the signs of my betta? Test the water with a kit like mentioned above - API Master Test Kit (freshwater)
    Have you used Seachem Stability/how did you use it/what will it do? No, I would follow instructions on bottle.

I would start with a 50-75% water change and stop using the salt. If going to use the seachem, follow instructions on the bottle.

The "conditioner" (like stress coat +) should be used with every water change as directed on the bottle. Stress Coat + use; 5ml (half a cap) per 10gal.

Also, make sure you have hiding places for your betta. Either in form of plants to hide behind or decor that they can swim in/out of without damaging their fins. This will help make them more comfortable.

Welcome to Fishlore!
    Outlaw

5. OP
    OP
    a

anphaaam New Member Member

Thank you for the advices! I do have a kit, so far the nitrate/nitrate levels are 0 and the ammonia is 2. Where do i take it from there? How do I know when the cycle is done....

6. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Please read the links I posted, at least the nitrogen cycle one.

When the cycle is completed, you should be at;
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- <20 (this will vary but partial water changes will keep in check)

With the ammonia at 2, you want to do a water change UNLESS you are using the seachem and it advises otherwise. I would do a 50% waterchange though if not. You need the ammonia to feed the nitrites which feed the nitrates.

Also, you could look at Ammo Lock by API. It turns the ammonia into a non-toxic form relieving some of the stress for the fish but still usable in the nitrogen cycle.

Ammo Lock info from Drs link above
    Direction for Use:
    Add 5 ml per 10 US gallons of aquarium water. Continue to add Ammo Lock every 2 days until ammonia is not detected. If after 7 days, ammonia is still present, perform a partial water change, service your biological filter and reduce feeding.

TIP: Ammo Lock does not remove ammonia; it converts it to a non-toxic form. After using Ammo Lock, your aquarium water will still test positive for ammonia even though it is in a non-toxic form which will be removed by the biological filter.

Outlaw

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  7. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

First I would like to say... Never listen to advice given by your LFS, they don't know what they are talking about.

You did good with getting a 10gal for your Betta... however, I'm not aware of how hardy Bettas are when it comes to a fish in cycle, but I would imagine pretty hardy if they can put up with the abuse most of their owners give them. If your tank HASN'T cycled yet, you are going to need to do daily water changes, sometimes more than once a day, depending on the ammonia level, you should invest in an API test kit as already suggested, if your ammonia is up at all, a water change needs to be done. And you've gotten some really good advice from the others, some I'm sure I've repeated, but this is about all I have to add. Good luck! :)

8. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Not at all. Betta do a lot and should be doing a lot. An inactive betta is a unhappy/ill fish.

Betta can withstand a cycle but they will face issues like fin rot, bloat, organ failure, blindness, gill damage and so on. Ammonia is toxic to them just like other fish, they just put up with the abuse better. In simple, Can it survive? Yes, Should you do it? No, absolutely not.

9. petlorilea

petlorilea Valued Member Member

How much sea salt did you add? I only add one or two GRAINS per gallon of water, and that's because I live in Arizona and do not have a water softener. Also, if your filter is moving the water too much, you will need to slow that current down. Keep his water temp at least 80; mine are 82. He should be moving around, exploring and making merengue. 10 gallons is a wonderful playground, but perhaps coming from a cup he may feel vulnerable or the light is too strong. Try floating your anubias for some cover for him. :) good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice