10 Gallon Tank Is My Betta Sick?

Mascarole

My betta is still active, excited about eating, and his colors are still bright but there is a weird thing on his stomach. I have tested the water quality and it has 0 ammonia, nitrates are 10ppm, with a pH of 7.2, and I have a sponge filter with a bleed valve (so I can control the flow) and a heater. I have been feeding him frozen bloodworms and I do use fertilizer. Please tell me if this is a sign of some sickness or if it can endanger the life of my fish. Just tell me anything you know about this. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 32

AlphaFish

Just seems a little bit fat. You're probably overfeeding

Mascarole

Just seems a little bit fat. You're probably overfeeding
Why is it a different color?

AlphaFish

I don't really see a different color, the photo is pretty blurry for me. Can you describe?

Mascarole

It looks white
This is a photo from the front

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-16 140919.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-16 140919.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2021-08-16 141014.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-16 141014.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 19

AlphaFish

Bettas can turn white because of fin rot, collumnaris, ich and stress. Unfortunately, I can't tell you which of them it is. But if he still has apetite and is active, there shouldn't be any disease. Maybe a bite of a tankmate? What tankmates does he have

Mascarole

He doesn't have any tankmates except for some tiny snails that got there and I have no idea how. Also, the weird spot is on the stomach and close to the gills.

AlphaFish

I'm sorry then, my knowledge kinda limits here. Hopefully you'll save your betta with the help of someone else.

Mascarole

Thanks for helping me. I'll try to fast my betta a few days a week.

saqib

Just a few quick questions.

How long have you had the betta?
Whats the temperature that you maintain your tank at?
Your nitrate levels suggest you do regular water changes, correct? if yes do you use any de-chlorinators whilst doing it?
How long ago or recent have you started noticing this white growth/spots?
Have they increased in size from the last time you noticed?

Aside from your white spots, i would suggest fasting your fish for a day and try feeding him a boiled de-shelled pea ir order to omit any bloating concerns.

Mascarole

I have had the betta for around 6 months.
26 degrees celsius or around 79 degrees Fahrenheit.
I usually do water changes when it is around 25 to 40 ppm nitrates so usually a 30 to 50 % water change every week, I use a dechlorinator and I do follow the instructions on the product.
a week ago I'm pretty sure.
I'm not too sure.
Just a few quick questions.

How long have you had the betta?
Whats the temperature that you maintain your tank at?
Your nitrate levels suggest you do regular water changes, correct? if yes do you use any de-chlorinators whilst doing it?
How long ago or recent have you started noticing this white growth/spots?
Have they increased in size from the last time you noticed?

Aside from your white spots, i would suggest fasting your fish for a day and try feeding him a boiled de-shelled pea ir order to omit any bloating concerns.

saqib

You're pretty much on the spot for everything.
Hopefully that's just a false alarm.

Just keep an eye on those spots, what I generally do is take pictures every other day and just compare to see if it's progressing or not.

Hope he stays strong and healthy.

Mascarole

Ok I'm really panicking, I think the spot grew a bit but it definitely got more noticeable. It turned more white and I think he spends most of his time on the floor. He is still excited when I get near though.
Picture taken the day after this thread was made.

Attachments

• IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 20

Mascarole

He is still kind of excited about food but not too much and he is not responding to knocks on the tank, also he doesn't go to me when I'm nearby, it might be because he didn't see me but its a possibility please help

I think its abscess or ich

CrackerboxPalace

It looks like an abcess caused by bacterial infection to me. The best thing to do is to keep the water as clean as possible, 20% or more water changes every day. You can add alder cones, IAL or blackwater extract too, they have antibacterial properties which can help the betta to heal naturally, while feeling less stressed.

Alternatively you can use methylene blue, but it will affect your cycle. Have activated carbon on hand to neutralise it when the abscess is gone.

If it's a cancerous tumor I'm not sure there's much you can do.

Mascarole

Thank you so much. I have bought methylene blue and will follow your advice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fish99
Replies
Views
evonner
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views