Help Is My Betta Sick?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
After cycling my tank I got a betta fish (around 42 hours ago). I properly acclimated the parameters and temperature. He is at the top slowly breathing and moves for 2 seconds every half minute. Doesn’t have a heater because room temperature is around 23.5- 25°C. I’ve turned the filter of atm because he gets thrown around. Gave him 4 pellets of betta food and hasn’t ate at all. He has also lost colour on his tail. I put a sponge on the spray bar of the filter to reduce flow. Please help.

Ammonium: 0.20
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
Chlorine: 0
Ph: 7.0

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would suggest you get a heater as bettas prefer the temperature around 26-28°C. New fish when introduced to a new environment may not eat for the first few days so I'd just wait a bit. Can you post pictures of him?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMG_1463.JPG
the first 12 hours where his tail was reddish

IMG_1468.JPG
whiter tail and lethargic. Slowed movement.

IMG_1472.JPG

A better picture of him at the moment.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not seeing anything physically wrong with him, but don't know what would cause him to lose colours in his fins. Colder temperatures can cause him to be lethargic and lose colours so I suggest a heater.

You can keep trying to offer food to see if he'll eat and I wouldn't be concerned until he doesn't eat for 2 or 3 days. When you put the pellets in did he show any interest or attempt eating one?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not seeing anything physically wrong with him, but don't know what would cause him to lose colours in his fins. Colder temperatures can cause him to be lethargic and lose colours so I suggest a heater.

You can keep trying to offer food to see if he'll eat and I wouldn't be concerned until he doesn't eat for 2 or 3 days. When you put the pellets in did he show any interest or attempt eating one?
He swam past the food completely ignoring it. Any suggestions for heaters ( for a 5 gal)? And do you know the type of betta he is?

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He swam past the food completely ignoring it. Any suggestions for heaters ( for a 5 gal)? And do you know the type of betta he is?
It isn't the prettiest, but I've used the Tetra HT10 in my 5.5 gallon with no problem. As for his tail type he looks to be a delta.

If he continues to not eat then you can try several things, would also suggest you keep the filter off during feeding. You can try feeding what they fed him from where you got him from or try feeding different brands of pellets. Frozen foods such as bloodworms or brine shrimp are also very tempting to many bettas. Soaking his food in garlic extract may also help as it acts as an appetite stimulant and flavor enhancer.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It isn't the prettiest, but I've used the Tetra HT10 in my 5.5 gallon with no problem. As for his tail type he looks to be a delta.

If he continues to not eat then you can try several things, would also suggest you keep the filter off during feeding. You can try feeding what they fed him from where you got him from or try feeding different brands of pellets. Frozen foods such as bloodworms or brine shrimp are also very tempting to many bettas. Soaking his food in garlic extract may also help as it acts as an appetite stimulant and flavor enhancer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S1WXJ3F/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWVkJTQlZEVERGV04mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MDQxMzUzVDVHRldKQUIyNEJMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NDM0MzExQVNNVE04QTVJNjVWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Is this a good heater since it’s within my budget. Filter is off during feeding. Thank you, I’m in a rush so I can’t fully respond.

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It looks like he has torn fins, likely from his previous home as your tank looks to only have live plants and smooth rocks. You'll want to stay on top of water parameters with 2-3 water changes a week to prevent fin rot

I'm guessing the color is from the cooler water, but keep an eye on it. You might want to use a stress coat too, or Indian Almond Leaves or their extract. (You can make the extract yourself, and that will prevent leaf litter.) His fins and scales look tattered, so I'd heavily recommend it. You can look up "how to make your own betta spa" on here to get instructions.

Also, just a warning, bettas can be jumpers. You'll want some form of lid. Something as simple as a clean lid off a plastic bin with holes in it would work, but it's going to save a lot of heartache down the line.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It looks like he has torn fins, likely from his previous home as your tank looks to only have live plants and smooth rocks. You'll want to stay on top of water parameters with 2-3 water changes a week to prevent fin rot

I'm guessing the color is from the cooler water, but keep an eye on it. You might want to use a stress coat too, or Indian Almond Leaves or their extract. (You can make the extract yourself, and that will prevent leaf litter.) His fins and scales look tattered, so I'd heavily recommend it. You can look up "how to make your own betta spa" on here to get instructions.

Also, just a warning, bettas can be jumpers. You'll want some form of lid. Something as simple as a clean lid off a plastic bin with holes in it would work, but it's going to save a lot of heartache down the line.
What percentage of water changes?

I'll see what I can do with the fins and tails and will definitely watch some videos on the betta spa.

I have no idea on what to use as a lid, would glass work? And I'll find one with a couple holes (for wires and gas exchange.

I also filled the filter with media ti get rid of the cloudy water. I heard to get rid of it you need to do 10% every week abd have a lot of water movement. Will the water changes affect the process?

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What percentage of water changes?

I'll see what I can do with the fins and tails and will definitely watch some videos on the betta spa.

I have no idea on what to use as a lid, would glass work? And I'll find one with a couple holes (for wires and gas exchange.

I also filled the filter with media ti get rid of the cloudy water. I heard to get rid of it you need to do 10% every week abd have a lot of water movement. Will the water changes affect the process?
I think the general rule of thumb is 25% water changes, and I don't know about the cloudy water. It might be overfeeding? If there's any food left in the tank that might be causing it, but there's a lot of different things that can cause cloudy water.

You'll want a heater and thermometer, and keep a close eye on the temp. Higher temperatures (above 26 c) can increase bacteria growth. Stable temperature is also really important, so you might want to wrap part of the tank with insolation (blankets, pillows, etc.) to keep the water more stable. When doing water changes, use said thermometer to keep track. (On one of my tanks, we use a digital thermometer from the cooking aisle at the grocery store. It's fish tank only. It lets us know the water is exactly right, very useful.)

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the general rule of thumb is 25% water changes, and I don't know about the cloudy water. It might be overfeeding? If there's any food left in the tank that might be causing it, but there's a lot of different things that can cause cloudy water.

You'll want a heater and thermometer, and keep a close eye on the temp. Higher temperatures (above 26 c) can increase bacteria growth. Stable temperature is also really important, so you might want to wrap part of the tank with insolation (blankets, pillows, etc.) to keep the water more stable. When doing water changes, use said thermometer to keep track. (On one of my tanks, we use a digital thermometer from the cooking aisle at the grocery store. It's fish tank only. It lets us know the water is exactly right, very useful.)
I forgot to mention that it is a bacterial bloom, hence the added media. I will buy a digital thermometer.

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I forgot to mention that it is a bacterial bloom, hence the added media. I will buy a digital thermometer.
Ah.

So, to summarize: He has torn fins, but it's not fin rot. The tank needs to be kept warm and stable in temperature. 25-26 c is a good range, and above that can increase bacteria. A thermometer that will stay in the tank all the time is needed, along with a heater, and another thermometer for water changes can help a lot.

Make sure to change 25% of the water 2-3 times a week to prevent fin rot, and use a stress coat or IAL to promote healing. IAL will also help prevent fin rot. Look up "homemade betta spa" (i got it wrong the first time) to get instructions on that.

Make sure all decorations are betta safe. The easiest way is the pantyhose test. (Run a pantyhose or other nylon thing to see if it catches.) If it's not safe, you can file some things down and cover others.

The original question of "Is he sick?" Maybe. But most likely it's stress, which can be fixed.

Whew, I think that's it!

Good luck!

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm sad to share that he died when I came home. His tail was in the filter and there was no sign of him alive. I tried to make the 3 hour ride less stressful but his condition was already bad when I bought him. When I took him out i saw black things in his gills which were on his body, which may have caused him to die. I tried my best to keep him alive. Now I don't know what to do... I'm sorry

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don’t know what caused its death. Maybe his bad conditions before I got him? Should I try to get another betta and try again?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom