Is My Betta Sick?

Makeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello
I have a 2.5 yeah old betta and went I went to check on him this morning he was lying sideways in his plant usually he comes to greet me and goes to get his food but he didn't move when I gave him his food
Update now he is lying on his face please help I'm very worried and want to help him.

He moved but still not looking good

Hello
My betta has been acting strange and seems sick he dosdoes meet me at be top of his tank and inseain lies face down in the rocks or plants.
What could be happening? IMG_20180430_171826.jpg

Hello
I have a 2.5 yeah old bettaand went I went to check on him this morning he was lying sideways in his plant usually he comes to greet me and goes to get his food but he didn't move when I gave him his food
Update now he is lying on his face please help I'm very worried and want to help him.
I
Sadly I got him from a large chain pet store could this affect his life expectancy and health

Attachments

Makeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello
I have a 2.5 yeah old bettaand went I went to check on him this morning he was lying sideways in his plant usually he comes to greet me and goes to get his food but he didn't move when I gave him his food

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could you post a picture of your betta so we could diagnos. The betta definetly sounds like it's dieing, but it shouldn't at only 2 years old. I've had bettas to live for 15 years, so yours definetly isn't age related.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there any better way to get a picture, even holding him against the glass would be easier. it's hard to see in the picutre provided.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
Could you post a picture of your betta so we could diagnos. The betta definetly sounds like it's dieing, but it shouldn't at only 2 years old. I've had bettas to live for 15 years, so yours definetly isn't age related.
How did you get your betta fish to live that long ?

DutchAquarium said:
That's a really long time, what sorta set up did you have

GreekGills

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A betta is one of the hardiest fish and could live that long in not-so-good water. IMO, judging by the fin damage and discoloration, there is something up with the water. Even a betta can only stand so much exposure to high levels of ammonia, nitrites, etc. Getting your tank water and source water tested should be your next step.

Maybe bump the temp up for now to help him feel more comfortable. I noticed a huge difference in mine when I went from 75 to 80. Much more active and hopefully happier

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
GreekGills said:
Maybe bump the temp up for now to help him feel more comfortable. I noticed a huge difference in mine when I went from 75 to 80. Much more active and hopefully happier
Bettas are tropical fish and require higher temps to have their immune systems at fully capacity and to be more active and more readily eat food. I'm sure your betta felt much happier when it went higher.

GreekGills

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Going from a 5gal to his current 20gal helped a lot as well, giving him the space to explore and keep occupied.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, your fish doesnt look good for sure. Bettas are a tropical fish that require warm water, and theyre really not a hardy fish, they like clean parameters. But truthfully, most pet shop bettas are only going to live to be 2-4. In perfect conditions you can see them live up to 6 or 7 (Ive had a few get this old) and although some people will say their fish has lived longer, its just not normal. At 2.5 years old, its not OLD, but its not young either. Good luck.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Yeah, your fish doesnt look good for sure. Bettas are a tropical fish that require warm water, and theyre really not a hardy fish, they like clean parameters. But truthfully, most pet shop bettas are only going to live to be 2-4. In perfect conditions you can see them live up to 6 or 7 (Ive had a few get this old) and although some people will say their fish has lived longer, its just not normal. At 2.5 years old, its not OLD, but its not young either. Good luck.
Someone said their betta lived up to 15 years although I don't know how true it is. But 4 I suppose is for a betta with decent genetics and is taken properly care of if that makes sense. Genetics do affect their lifespan just like their care does too

Neutral-Waterinos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Makeda said:
Here is on from last night and right now
Hm, ok right now since it is rather serious you can either do a large water change or net him out and place him in a five gallon plastic container you can get from the shops which you can fill up with dechlorinated Warm water. I would like to ask if you have a filter for your betta and a heater, if you lack a filter it could be the lack of oxygen with the water? Idk if that can happen with bettas since they breathe air tho. Just move him over to a container with clean dechlorinated water and a heater with airstone right now in my opinion, this is essentially just setting up a quick asap hospital tank for him.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BettaNation said:
Someone said their betta lived up to 15 years although I don't know how true it is. But 4 I suppose is for a betta with decent genetics and is taken properly care of if that makes sense. Genetics do affect their lifespan just like their care does too
15 years is like DOUBLE their known life span.

Pet shop bettas dont have good genetics in general. Yes, with the proper conditions and some luck you can get more than 4 or 5 years, but probably not much more. Ive had two and a half year old bettas that just seemed to "give up" and die. I dont think thats out of the norm.

DuaneV said:

Pet shop bettas dont have good genetics in general. Yes, with the proper conditions and some luck you can get more than 4 or 5 years, but probably not much more. Ive had two and a half year old bettas that just seemed to "give up" and die. I dont think thats out of the norm.
Yeah, I am hoping the betta I have is a lucky one. Had her since a baby. Will probably get some bettas from actual breeders too.

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DuaneV said:

Yeah, I am hoping the betta I have is a lucky one. Had her since a baby. Will probably get some bettas from actual breeders too.
I agree with raising the temp from my own experience. Get your water tested and report back and your fishlore friends will help you get the water healthy.
I think given the unknown conditions or genetic background of your boy from before you got him, he might be at the natural end of his life cycle, even though he's on the young side, and you shouldn't feel bad about that.
I would consider his comfort in any measures you take, meaning weigh the potential benefits against the stress you know you'll put him through if you're looking at really disruptive options.
A lot of what you'd do to remedy water quality issues will also make him more comfortable, so even if what you do doesn't make him bounce back 100% it will make him feel better.
Start with getting his water tested and get it healthy and then warm it up (slowly, over a full day, raise heat to 80 or so) and go from there.
You love him and you're trying your best.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom