Is My Betta Sick??

1. R

RobSoul New Member Member

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could have an input to see if there is anything wrong with my betta. I got him about 3 weeks ago and hes been put in a cycled tank that has been running for months now. The problem is that I can't seem to figure out if he has a parasite or a bacterial infection at all. I've been looking up countless betta diseases but they dont match my issues.

Anyhow, I notice he's shedding just one singular white skin close to the gill area (as shown on the picture). Other times, I noticed the top of his head has a crackly appearance to it...although I cannot tell if this is just the natural look of the fish because it disappears when the LED lights shine on him. But i do notice that he will always get these scratch marks around his eye area too.

I do not have anything I believe to be sharp in the tank, I have lots of live plants that consists of anacharis, two java ferns, and floating anacharis. Every week I bring my wtaer to the LFS and they say ammonia and nitrates level are good and that my water quality is good. The only thing is that I live in southern california and I'm assuming my tap water is a little bit hard. But I do use seachem prime with each water change in the 1.7 liter that I fill up weekly.

He is very active and healthy, fins look great too. He eats the new life spectrum pellets that I feed him and I feed him total about 2-3 pellets per day total and I fast him one day of the week. Except, when I bought him i did notice his right pectoral fins were slightly cut up that I assume is due to fin biting in his little container.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    R

Also he's in a 5 gallon tank with 1 mystery snail and 2 little ramshorn snail.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

4. OP
    OP
    R

Sorry, i actually don't know the ammonia and nitrate parameters because the LFS didnt tell me except that it looks good and extremely low when it was tested yesterday. I do know that 2 weeks earlier when i got my water tested that he said my pH was a little high at around a 8.

5. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

As long as PH is stable i recommend not chasing a number. I have a ph of 8 and my bettas r thriving. I also urge u to purchase the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Ur betta looks healthy to me...i don't c signs of fin rot and u say he is active. Ur ability to test ur parameters with ur own test kit is a must as poor water quality lowers the immune system therefore leaving the fish susceptible to parasites, bacteria and viruses that alot of aquariums contain.

6. OP
    OP
    R

Than you so much for the input . Yeah he looks healthy as heck it's mostly the scratches and the shedding of that one white scale by the gill that was bugging me . Again, I was cutting anubias leaves in the aquarium with him in it and I noticed it a day after. So I was just wondering if that was bacterial or parasitic or he may have just got stress or injured himself inside .