Is My Betta Sick??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by RobSoul, Aug 6, 2017.

1. RobSoulNew MemberMember

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could have an input to see if there is anything wrong with my betta. I got him about 3 weeks ago and hes been put in a cycled tank that has been running for months now. The problem is that I can't seem to figure out if he has a parasite or a bacterial infection at all. I've been looking up countless betta diseases but they dont match my issues.

Anyhow, I notice he's shedding just one singular white skin close to the gill area (as shown on the picture). Other times, I noticed the top of his head has a crackly appearance to it...although I cannot tell if this is just the natural look of the fish because it disappears when the LED lights shine on him. But i do notice that he will always get these scratch marks around his eye area too.

I do not have anything I believe to be sharp in the tank, I have lots of live plants that consists of anacharis, two java ferns, and floating anacharis. Every week I bring my wtaer to the LFS and they say ammonia and nitrates level are good and that my water quality is good. The only thing is that I live in southern california and I'm assuming my tap water is a little bit hard. But I do use seachem prime with each water change in the 1.7 liter that I fill up weekly.

He is very active and healthy, fins look great too. He eats the new life spectrum pellets that I feed him and I feed him total about 2-3 pellets per day total and I fast him one day of the week. Except, when I bought him i did notice his right pectoral fins were slightly cut up that I assume is due to fin biting in his little container.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    R

RobSoulNew MemberMember

Also he's in a 5 gallon tank with 1 mystery snail and 2 little ramshorn snail.

3. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

What are the parameters exactly at?

4. OP
    OP
    R

RobSoulNew MemberMember

Sorry, i actually don't know the ammonia and nitrate parameters because the LFS didnt tell me except that it looks good and extremely low when it was tested yesterday. I do know that 2 weeks earlier when i got my water tested that he said my pH was a little high at around a 8.

5. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

As long as PH is stable i recommend not chasing a number. I have a ph of 8 and my bettas r thriving. I also urge u to purchase the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Ur betta looks healthy to me...i don't c signs of fin rot and u say he is active. Ur ability to test ur parameters with ur own test kit is a must as poor water quality lowers the immune system therefore leaving the fish susceptible to parasites, bacteria and viruses that alot of aquariums contain.

6. OP
    OP
    R

RobSoulNew MemberMember

Than you so much for the input . Yeah he looks healthy as heck it's mostly the scratches and the shedding of that one white scale by the gill that was bugging me . Again, I was cutting anubias leaves in the aquarium with him in it and I noticed it a day after. So I was just wondering if that was bacterial or parasitic or he may have just got stress or injured himself inside .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice