Is my betta sick

1. C

Cianball1 New Member Member

Hi I recently added a betta to my tank yesterday. Since I put him in the tank I noticed that he doesn't look to be in the best shape. He hasn't been very active in the tank at all he is mainly just hiding under driftwood and plants but I just put this down to him being a new tank. But on closer inspection he looks a but off any suggestions if he is ill and what it could be. Picture is attached ino it's not the best but he rarely comes out [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Hello! Do you know what your water parameters are? Is the tank cycled?

3. OP
    OP
    C

Ammonia is 0 Nitrate is 10 Nitrite is 0 ph is 7.1 and temperature is 78°f l. yes it is fully cycled

4. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Cian,
    Is there any other fish in the tank too? He might be frightened if there is and being in a new tank too could be the problem, esp if its big tank.
    Have you tested your water recently? He might just be in a bit of shock with the change in water he was kept in and your water.
    He might just be stressed from the move to your tank from the pet store too and could take a few days to feel secure again.
    Has he eaten since you brought him?

5. jhigg008

He also looks like a crowntail with a bit of fin rot which is unfortunately pretty common for bettas coming from pet stores. Frequent small water changes will help immensely.

Edit - just looked at the pic again. Not a crowntail. Probably veiltail. Still has fin rot...again common problem, fairly easy fix.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Hi Sabrina
    Yes there is 3 female platies in the tank and a couple of shrimp it is a 10g tank which is significantly bigger that the one he was in the shop. I thought that but I just wasn't sure as he doesn't look in the best conditions. He had a small bit if food but would venture to the top for it just bits that fell to the ground.

7. jhigg008

Hmmm unfortunately I dont think he should be in a 10 gal with platies. The platies are messy and create a lot of waste. They will need a bigger tank. The betta can also be very aggressive. Once he settles in and gets bold as bettas often do, you might have problems. Also depending on the type of shrimp, they might become for the betta eventually.

8. OP
    OP
    C

There amino shrimp. When I was getting the betta they were in a tank with platies and seemed to be fine. I knew it was risk but wanted to see if It would work out if not I would move the platies to a new tank

9. OP
    OP
    C

So if I just keep with the water changes it should help him?

10. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubbles Valued Member Member

Mine was just like that a couple for a couple of days after I got him and after a couple days he perked up and became that cute active fish I know today. He is probably still adjusting to the water chemistry and will start exploring when he becomes more comfortable.

11. jhigg008

Absolutely! But keep a close eye on ur water parameters with the platies in there. You are overstocked at the moment. Hope it helps :)