Help Is my betta sad?/Ammonia spike again?

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Today’s seems to be a bad day for me, my betta, and his tank. I woke up multiple times during the night bc my filter was being really loud and the sponge I put on it to regulate the flow fell off, so I had to fix it like 4 times smh.

Anyway, I’m doing a fish in cycle (didn’t cycle the tank properly at first) and I’ve been having trouble regulating the ammonia in the tank. I haven’t tested the water yet, but I think the ammonia is high again. I also did a 50% WC this morning. Idk if that’s too much bc I was planning on a smaller WC, but ended up taking out more water than I expected.

My betta also seems sad/tired today? He still has an appetite, but he doesn’t really react when I’m near the tank. He kind of seems zoned out and he’s not swimming much. He’s also sleeping in between the filter and heater rn. Is it possibly for bettas to not get enough sleep? Maybe that’s why he’s like this today?

I constantly think I’m doing something wrong :(, but I can’t seem to figure out what it is.

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is possible for bettas to not get enough sleep, it also is possible that the large water change shocked him a little, that's always what happened with mine when I used to do heavy water changes without knowing 50 was too much. Big water changes are the thing to do in an ammonia spike so its a bit of a double-edged sword. Don't worry. He will recover.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If your ammonia is high, then I would say that is likely why your fish is so lethargic today (as ammonia can get toxic very quickly) I would just keep doing 25-30% water changes 2-3 times a week (more if your ammonia spikes quickly) until your cycle is done. Don't beat yourself up too much, it sounds like you really care about your fish, all you can do from here on out is try to give him the best life you can. This being said- what size tank is he in? A smaller tank could lead ammonia spiking faster and water parameters changing much more drastically.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bogmummy said:
It is possible for bettas to not get enough sleep, it also is possible that the large water change shocked him a little, that's always what happened with mine when I used to do heavy water changes without knowing 50 was too much. Big water changes are the thing to do in an ammonia spike so its a bit of a double-edged sword. Don't worry. He will recover.
He seemed like that before the WC, then he seemed a little better, and now I think he’s sleeping. He likes sleeping in between the filter and heater at night, but since the filter was being really disruptive, he slept on the gravel.
Danny002 said:
If your ammonia is high, then I would say that is likely why your fish is so lethargic today (as ammonia can get toxic very quickly) I would just keep doing 25-30% water changes 2-3 times a week (more if your ammonia spikes quickly) until your cycle is done. Don't beat yourself up too much, it sounds like you really care about your fish, all you can do from here on out is try to give him the best life you can. This being said- what size tank is he in? A smaller tank could lead ammonia spiking faster and water parameters changing much more drastically.
He’s currently in a 2.5 gallon tank. Idk when I’ll be able to get a bigger tank, but hopefully I’ll get it soon. The ammonia is probably high bc of the tank size and I’ll make sure to do the everyday WC.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A 5 gallon would probably be best if you can get that. When you do your water changes try to pour the water in slow or onto some sort of solid decoration so it doesn't disrupt the substrate or knock your fish around too much.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Danny002 said:
A 5 gallon would probably be best if you can get that. When you do your water changes try to pour the water in slow or onto some sort of solid decoration so it doesn't disrupt the substrate or knock your fish around too much.
I want to get a 10 gallon bc they’re currently on sale at petco, but the only problem is that I don’t have a local petco and I can’t really go anywhere bc of the covid-19 :(
And I always make sure I pour the water in as slowly as I can. I pour the water in at sort of an angle so that it pours down the side of the tank.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
julkosi17 said:
I want to get a 10 gallon bc they’re currently on sale at petco, but the only problem is that I don’t have a local petco and I can’t really go anywhere bc of the covid-19 :(
And I always make sure I pour the water in as slowly as I can. I pour the water in at sort of an angle so that it pours down the side of the tank.
Hopefully you'll be able to get somewhere soon. This virus is a real pain. For now just keep it up with those water changes. I hope he starts to feel better!

New Threads