Is my Betta ready for tank mates?

Belshaw89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello again. Wondering if you more experienced fish keepers could help me out again.
I have a betta in a 27l aquarium, I've had him for 4/5 month, at first I had him with 2 shrimp (clear with a black stripe on back) for a month and a half then suddenly woke up one morning and he had killed them unfortunately. So I was wondering of I should try him out with any other tank mates? I know my choice is limited due to the size if my tank, so I was thinking maybe 4 neon tetra. My 27l betta tank has rocks, artificial plants, and a large castle decoration so there is plenty hiding places, and it has a low light on the top so it doesn't illuminate the tank too much. I have another much larger tank with 2 dwarf gourami and 6 small tetra fish in, so if my betta did become aggressive towards its new tank mates, I could easily enough transfer them from tank to tank. What do you guys suggest? Thanks for any help.

horsin1787

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Neons should not be kept in anything smaller than 37l I'm not really sure what you could keep in a 27l. I personally would not keep anything with him. They really prefer to be solitary and will likely kill anything you put in there besides snails. If you want something colorful, you could do like 2 freshwater nerite snails.

Try to stay away from mysteries though-they are poop machines

Jomolager

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am glad we were home when our perfectly behaved Betta out of the blue attacked platys. A few months later it viciously attacked a snail it has been sharing the tank with for months. Adding other fish to male Betta tank can be compared only to playing Russian roulette. We will never do it again.

Belshaw89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help, I guess I will leave him by himself. I may try some more accessible decoration for him to swim around in, maybe some floating plants. I was tempted to pick a snail up, but someone put me off the idea saying they reproduce like mad, even if they don't have a mate, is that true?

horsin1787

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
nerite do not reproduce in freshwater-they do lay little white sesame seed sized eggs everywhere that don't hatch. Mystery snails (apple snail) do reproduce, but they lay their eggs in a clump above the water line, so easy to control. Pond snails and ramshorn will reproduce like crazy though.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had him with 2 shrimp (clear with a black stripe on back) for a month and a half then suddenly woke up one morning and he had killed them unfortunately. So I was wondering of I should try him out with any other tank mates?
Your betta has told you, plain and simple, that he does not want tankmates. I'd listen to the fish.

Jomolager

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Our Betta loves plants, especially the taller ones, he sleeps on top of them. He also likes a stone with a hole in the middle, he swims through it indefatigably when he is not building his bubble nest..

Jim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put my betta into my community tank (40 gallon) that at the time had 6 neons, 2 sunburst gouramis, 4 cories and 3 ottos. OK, so out of the net he comes and looks down at the neons -" OK, they look nice". Then he swam around a little and looked at the cories - "no problem with those guys". then looked at the ottos- " they look.........". "What the he.......". CHARGE! FIGHT! HURT! KILL! "Where did those gouramis come from???? CHARGE!!!!!!........that betta chased those 2 gouramis all over everywhere with fire in his eyes. THEY were scared; I couldn't grab a net fast enough so I put my hand in the tank to ward off that slaughter. -----Mr Martial Arts Fighter took a ride back to the fish store. Whew!!!

XanoKais

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I second what all these nice folks are saying. I had my Betta in the community tank, and he was fine. Eventually I had the opposite issue to JimBob. To follow JimBob's example, he looked at my cories and said, "hey guys, you seem nice, i wont bug you". Then he looked at my Danios and said, "hey guys, you're pretty psychotic and active, but i'll let you do your thing because there's a lot of you". Then the Danios looked at him and said, "OHHH, COLORFUL SHINY -nip nip nip nip nip nip-". I moved him to a tank of his own after that and he couldnt have been happier. I did put a group of Java Fern in his new tank, and he wouldn't leave em. He would relax up against them, and they grew great with him with a bit of help from CO2 booster and no other plant support chems.

angelic0corydora

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I put my betta into my community tank (40 gallon) that at the time had 6 neons, 2 sunburst gouramis, 4 cories and 3 ottos. OK, so out of the net he comes and looks down at the neons -" OK, they look nice". Then he swam around a little and looked at the cories - "no problem with those guys". then looked at the ottos- " they look.........". "What the he.......". CHARGE! FIGHT! HURT! KILL! "Where did those gouramis come from???? CHARGE!!!!!!........that betta chased those 2 gouramis all over everywhere with fire in his eyes. THEY were scared; I couldn't grab a net fast enough so I put my hand in the tank to ward off that slaughter. -----Mr Martial Arts Fighter took a ride back to the fish store. Whew!!!
That's because gouramis and bettas can't be housed together. Labrynth fish together is a no no. Female bettas together, good. Male bettas, no good. Gouramis - good and no good, depending. They can't be housed together though. Rule #1 of labrynth fish.

angelic0corydora

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't. A lot of fish eat shrimp, it's called they're prey. Predators eat prey.

Anyways: that's your betta's tank. HIS territory. Adding anything would be ill-advised. He thinks this is his home and he doesn't want room mates. That's why with any betta/community set up, the betta comes last or at the same time the other fish do.

My female betta (females have a better tolerance for community tanks.) is with guppies, corydoras, otos, and angelfish. I want gouramis in there but labrynth fish can't be housed together. Gouramis and bettas hate each other. And gouramis are better at swimming and can be very fast and agile and can tear the betta up pretty badly.

CoryCats

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't. He killed previous tank mates so I wouldn't be surprised if he killed more. Females being more docile and accepting of tank mates is a myth, they can be just as bad as males.

Belshaw89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I have two male dwarf gourami, they chase each other now and again, nothing too aggressive though, they are beautiful fish. Shame they don't get along with betta fish because it would make for a very colourful community tank.

angelic0corydora

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't. He killed previous tank mates so I wouldn't be surprised if he killed more. Females being more docile and accepting of tank mates is a myth, they can be just as bad as males.
He killed SHRIMP. A lot of fish will kill shrimp, does this mean that those fish can't be put in a community tank setting because they killed tank mates??
That's a pointless reason. Shrimp killing now determines if fish can be put with other fish... ? If he had killed a corydora, or a fish, it'd be more reasoned.

Honestly if the OP had a 55 gallon community and put her betta in, aggression may not happen at all. Though the OP knows her betta likes shrimp.

CoryCats

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He killed SHRIMP. A lot of fish will kill shrimp, does this mean that those fish can't be put in a community tank setting because they killed tank mates??
That's a pointless reason. Shrimp killing now determines if fish can be put with other fish... ? If he had killed a corydora, or a fish, it'd be more reasoned.

Honestly if the OP had a 55 gallon community and put her betta in, aggression may not happen at all. Though the OP knows her betta likes shrimp.
Please do not attack me. Feel free to disagree but attacking is not OK. Its my opinion, feel free to disagree with it.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

ANY killing of fish or otherwise means that the match is not good!!!! Betta's are solitary fish and more often than not, will not tolerate other tank mates... That's just how it is

angelic0corydora

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ANY killing of fish or otherwise means that the match is not good!!!! Betta's are solitary fish and more often than not, will not tolerate other tank mates... That's just how it is
But I've had fish kill shrimp. They're okay with other fish. My guppies love shrimp. RCS are not a good match in my tank. But the guppies are peaceful fish. I don't see much, if any aggression with fish, but once you put prey in; they go after it. My dog is peaceful, but will kill mice but not cats or other dogs. Prey drive. I don't know. I wouldn't advise the OP to put a betta used to solitary into a community tank; it stresses them.
I know some bettas are very docile but if a betta is used to no roommates and roommates are placed in his house, regardless of size he can become very aggressive. (Or she.)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom