Is my betta oxidizing?! Jk, but seriously, I’m perplexed - what is this?

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So, a while ago I noticed my crowntail, Sunny, getting some blue streaks in his fins. I figured it was just his iridescent layer coming out (he was in a real state when I bought him) so I didn’t worry. Now, there’s more of it, and it’s bubbling up in one spot! That’s not normal lol
Thinking maybe a fungal infection or something??
Before there was much blue:
35E5D9FA-6A80-40E1-9192-CF9BC30BFCD5.jpeg

Now:
DD65F333-334B-4D31-857C-ED2AC043E297.jpeg

EDD4D34B-0089-4255-9926-B559663B01FB.jpeg

(The arrows point to where the “bubbles” are)
Anyone have any idea what it is?

(Yes, he’s in a planted, 5 gallon tank. Parameters are all in check/ “normal”, etc)

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It actually looks like he already had something similar on his tail in the first photo - look closely, and you can see that bubble-like texture near the end of a few rays. My guess is the blue iridescence just highlighted those bubble-like spots so they're a lot easier to notice. An increase in iridescence with age, especially blue, is very common - I've seen it in my own bettas before.

I certainly don't think it's a fungal infection - it's not fuzzy, and it looks to be the fin itself rather than something sitting on top of the fin. I wouldn't be concerned about it. Benign growths are not uncommon on bettas, and bettas can also develop some funky (but totally harmless) growth patterns toward the ends of their fins, especially crowntails where the rays can go wherever they want without being restricted by webbing.

I would not be worried!

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SM1199 said:
It actually looks like he already had something similar on his tail in the first photo - look closely, and you can see that bubble-like texture near the end of a few rays. My guess is the blue iridescence just highlighted those bubble-like spots so they're a lot easier to notice. An increase in iridescence with age, especially blue, is very common - I've seen it in my own bettas before.

I certainly don't think it's a fungal infection - it's not fuzzy, and it looks to be the fin itself rather than something sitting on top of the fin. I wouldn't be concerned about it. Benign growths are not uncommon on bettas, and bettas can also develop some funky (but totally harmless) growth patterns toward the ends of their fins, especially crowntails where the rays can go wherever they want without being restricted by webbing.

I would not be worried!
That's not the bubbles in the first photo - it's his rays curling from the hardness of the water :) The bubbles are brand new and completely different, trust me.

As I said, I also thought this was a simple increase in iridescence at first, but now I don't think that. I do know what that usually looks like, y'know?

The rays with the blue on them are notably thicker than the others, I guess I forgot to mention that, and it's not obvious in the pictures. The blue is also much more opaque than iridescence usually is.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know if something is affecting him but I had to say, That is one absolutely beautiful little guy you have there. If I could find one like him I would seriously consider getting one. All of them are very pretty fish but there is something very special about this little guy. I really hope what you are seeing is nothing serious.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
mattgirl said:
I don't know if something is affecting him but I had to say, That is one absolutely beautiful little guy you have there. If I could find one like him I would seriously consider getting one. All of them are very pretty fish but there is something very special about this little guy. I really hope what you are seeing is nothing serious.
Thank you! I saw him a few times at my LFS and was like “Dang, that’s a nice fish, but I really don’t need another betta”. After like a month he was still there! He was laying like flat on the bottom and was marked down to $2 so I was like, alright, guess I’ll have to take him after all lol. And, needless to say, I also hope it’s nothing serious!

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tried to take some better pics today. Also realized it’s just on the tail, not dorsal or analfins. Still have no idea what it is:
31770AB6-E08A-4E59-B5E0-83C3C7C53C47.jpeg

6B563134-2796-4345-BF42-569C98C073EA.jpeg

You can see how they blue rays are thicker:
FA91A3B0-A324-4D69-BEC0-91A525862EEB.jpeg

New Threads